Tech Support banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While streaming movies or playing games on an ethernet cable, I lose connection every 5-30 minutes with no visible consistency and seemingly fine Downstream/Upstream levels. The events last long enough to fully disconnect from game lobbies, rather than "ping spike". Tried talking to Comcast support but they were unhelpful. I've tried restarting the modem, using different coaxial/ethernet cables, double and triple checking all cables are tightened, and even tried disabling all my router's wireless networks and only connecting with my PC. There were no noticeable changes in internet drops. This problem happened to me last summer, went away on its own in winter, and is back again this spring. I don't understand what could be causing this.

Worth noting I reset the FEC counter this morning. The correcteds/uncorrectables are all from today.

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,160 Posts
Does your modem feel hot or is it blocked from air flow? It sounds more like an issue on the Comcast side and you should see about having a tech come out. Could be as simple as a bad splitter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does your modem feel hot or is it blocked from air flow? It sounds more like an issue on the Comcast side and you should see about having a tech come out. Could be as simple as a bad splitter.
Thanks for the reply! I've tried running with and without the splitter since I don't really use the cable box, and it happens anyway. Modem feels slightly above room temperature but is free from any walls, enclosure etc. The problem hasn't happened for the past day or so, and prior to it happening I was fine for some time. It seems like a local bandwidth problem, I live near the center of town and there were recently 3 or so Comcast servicing units out here changing out cables. Plus I found out the local school was having spring break this week, could contribute to it.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,694 Posts
Keep us informed if things change.

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,160 Posts
A seasonal problem that pops up when the weather gets warmer sounds more like an overheating/hardware problem on Comcast's side. For shared bandwidth and in the case of when kids get out of school - usually the connection speeds will drop, but not necessarily disconnect. I've seen both happen before. Keep bugging Comcast if it happens again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts