Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fairly sure this is a motherboard problem. Anyway...

I've got a Dimension 8300 from dell and it has been running fine for years. I really just use it to burn dual layer dvds for my xbox games, and a media server for myself. Anyway, problems have arisen. It recently, and randomly died. The HDD in it seems to be completely fried, or at least I thought at first. I kept getting the error "Strike F1 to continue, strike F2 to go into setup". So...after some tears I decided to switch out the HDD with another. I recently put a IDE HDD into it (the original was SATA), and decided to start installing windows. I put my winxp cd into the dvd drive and went to the boot menu and selected IDE CD-ROM, and blamo, same error.

So I'm really confused at this point, I've tried switching master/slaves all over the place as far as hardware setup and I've tried replacing the mobo battery. I've got no other guesses at this point, but I think that its just my motherboard, and not the harddrive now. Eitherway, I've got both harddrives installed still so its not a big problem... Just wish I could get it to boot to SOMETHING. Trying to install winxp using a USB drive soon, but i doubt that will work. Any ideas on whats up with the mother board or any options for troubleshooting?

· Emeritus
51,728 Posts
Did you follow the "Strike F1 to continue, strike F2 to go into setup"?
If so, what happened?

· Registered
17 Posts
Course. If I strike F1 I get another error that says "Strike F1 to retry boot, strike F2 to go into setup". F2 goes to setup.

QUICK EDIT: I tried booting from USB also, epic fail.

QUICK EDIT2: found this thread:
http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/17495409/17664526.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&s=dhs
Think I'll probably try that when i can manage to get a floppy...

Guess I'm up the river without a paddle here?

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well i've tried USB Drive, Floppy Drive, 2 CD-ROM Drives, 2 HDDs.

Also, btw, when I go to boot menu and select system setup it won't bring me to the setup, it gives me that same damn error. Really odd problem I'm having. I can get into system setup the other ways, but not from the boot menu. :\ Nothing on the boot menu works, all the same error.

EDIT: Btw, This is the exact same case for both of my dell desktops, and happened within a month of one another. Hoping this is just something foolish I did so I can fix it. :S

· Premium Member
78,435 Posts
cmos reset
turn the computer off
remove the power lead from the back
take the side off
remove the cmos battery
move the cmos jumper from pins 1 and 2 to pin 2 and 3 and the back to pins 1 and 2
reinsert the battery
put the side on
replug in the power lead
boot the computer

there can be 2 solder points you touch with a screwdriver
2 pins you touch with a screwdriver or use a jumper
a cmos clear switch or button
there will be a diagram and instructions in your manual

· Registered
17 Posts
I was under the understanding that replacing the CMOS battery would cause the CMOS to reset...

Eitherway, I reset using the pins multiple times and still the same error. If it helps, this is happening with both of my dell E210882 motherboards. I really need these to work, I'm going ape **** trying to figure them both out. Dell tells me its a hardware problem, but why in the world would both motherboards fail out within a month of one another? Another thing that moves me away from hardware problem is the fact that when I go to the boot menu and select system setup it says I can't boot to the setup by giving me that same error i've been getting, but if I press f2 during bios boot it'll go to setup...

I donno, still need help. :S

EDIT: When I try to boot to USB or floppy I get a new error ->
Remove Disks or other Media.
Press any key to restart.

If i press any key, the error shows again. If I remove the boot device it gives me the old error, understandably.

I got it to boot from a floppy and I ran a BIOS update to the newest BIOS, but I get the same error when I try to boot to a cd drive or a hard disk.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a DVD-Drive and a harddrive connected, which should get the black plug and which the gray? Which should be master, which should be slave?

Also, I've tried disconnecting the HDD and just leaving the dvd drive connected and it didn't work with slave, master, or cable select.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
as i said this is happening on both of my dells, so its not just the one ide cable.

Also, I've got two ide cables on each, one for hd one for dvd drive, and it won't boot to any of the 4 devices. harddrives are 2 western digital and one seagate, but the hd brand shouldn't matter as i haven't even begun to boot from the cd drive to start the format of the hdd.

· Premium Member
78,435 Posts
with wd drives the jumper settings are different from most other brands

single master=jumper removed

master with slave=jumper in hat position

slave= jumper in that postion

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do believe I have mentioned the use of two different drives, one sata and one ide. One came with the computer and worked fine for years, and then this problem occurred with no moving of the jumpers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.