Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a Gigabyte GA648FX mobo, WINXP, 512ram 2 HDD's, 1x120gb,1x160gb (with the first being new) nvidia 5200fx vid card and I seem to be having a lot of prob's with the pc.

It freezes constantly and I lose the prim master HDD all the time. I have just formatted both drives and reloaded everything.

When it does this, it will go to startup. If I look at fdisk, (it shows only 1 hdd) it will load properly.

Does anyone have any ideas on the problem? Could it be the mobo?

Thanks
darby26

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

There are a few details that we must have to even consider what might be the problem. First of all, what types and brand names of hard drives? How are they jumpered? Where are they located on the Ribbon cable?

What power supply do you have? List brand name, watts, and the +12 volt amps on that rail. (this will be on your power supply side)

Download and run SensorviewPro that is listed under my signature. Then, post the temps and voltages here so we can take a look.

Post back with questions/concerns/information.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Info as requested...i think...I'm not a real techie so here goes.

HDD's
1. Barracuda 120gb 7200rpm IDE set as primary slave
2. Seagate Barracuda 160gb 7200rpm IDE set as primary master

Ribbon Cable Location? HDD 1 Middle HDD 2 Bottom?...I think thats what you want

Power Supply

Brand TT ATX 300 P4
300 watt
15 amps

Temps C / F
CPU 56/133
SYS 56/133
AUX 25/77
HD0 44/112
HD1 49/121

Voltages
VCOREA 1.57V
VCOREB 1.94V
+3.3V 2.94V
+5V 5.13
+12V 12.00
+5VSB 5.13
+VBAT 0.00

If I have anything wrong...please let me know.

Thanks
darby26

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Info as requested...i think...I'm not a real techie so here goes.

HDD's
1. Barracuda 120gb 7200rpm IDE set as primary slave
2. Seagate Barracuda 160gb 7200rpm IDE set as primary master

Ribbon Cable Location? HDD 1 Middle HDD 2 Bottom?...I think thats what you want

With IDE drives, the Master should have the jumpers set on MASTER and the drive placed on the END of the ribbon cable.

With the Slave drive, set the jumpers to SLAVE and place it on the MIDDLE connector of the ribbon cable.

Power Supply

Brand TT ATX 300 P4
300 watt
15 amps

Temps C / F
CPU 56/133 Much Too hot for idle
SYS 56/133 Much Too Hot for idle
AUX 25/77
HD0 44/112 Very Warm
HD1 49/121 Very Warm

Voltages
VCOREA 1.57V
VCOREB 1.94V
+3.3V 2.94V
+5V 5.13
+12V 12.00
+5VSB 5.13
+VBAT 0.00

If I have anything wrong...please let me know.

Thanks
darby26

Please list your CPU, because I have concerns about the size of your power supply. Also, your power supply (depending upon what CPU) seems to be quite small for what you are running. The CPU you are running can also have an effect upon the amount of heat you will have, so that is a very important thing to know.

I will try to look this up later after you list that item, but I need to get out of here for a bit after a very long day.

Tell me also what direction your heatsink fan is blowing, what case fans you have and where they are located and which direction they are blowing. We need to find a way to get that heat down.

I think you have a heat problem that is causing the shutdowns, but also have concerns about the size power supply over the long haul.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi

The CPU fan is blowing away from the fan.

I dont have a case fan.

I am buying a 550w 19amp double fan power supply as we speak Aand also a case fan.

I will install these over the next few days and let you know how I go and I will post the temps again.

Thanks
darby26

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Just to recap. You DO need a case fan in the rear of the case pulling hot air out of the case. It would also be best if you have one in front pulling cool air in to the case. The heatsink fan should be blowing DOWN on the heatsink. Last, be sure you don't buy some power supply that is an "el cheapo" off brand. Read the power supply information as a first step. Buy a brand name when you buy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi

I didnt end up buying the PSU as yet...only the case fan

The PSU I am looking at is a tri fan by Powertek International the model is PT-600AR-T 20amp.

If this is not good enough...what brand do you recommend?

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.00Ghz. Thats all I can tell you

Thanks
darby26

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi

Im in Sydney Australia.

I can possibly get my hands on a Antec TRUEPOWER 2.0 550W EPS12V Power Supply. I noticed on the discussions about PSU's that Antec is one that is recommended

darby26

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.