Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 Mitsubishi Galant, 4 cylinder, sohc, automatic.

The car died on me when visiting a friend. I had it towed to firestone and gave them $120 to tell me what was wrong with it.

They said it was the Distributor (something wrong in the computer chip within the distibutor) which would cost me $600. I shopped around and took it to Pepboys for $300.

Later that day after having it fixed I drove it again, and about 20 mins drive it dies again, exactly how it did before!

I left the car and came back later and it started fine and I drove it home. I've tested it out and it does fine for about 15mins then it just dies. I don't have a clue where to start. At about 15mins the car dies just like it is running out of gas, or like the alternator died and the power is just going out. Once I restarted it for about two more minutes but then it was gone.

Anyone have a clue?

·
Administrator, Automotive Team Manager
5,291 Posts
Were they talking about the ignition module? That sounds like what mighta went out...and is going out again. Usually a failing module will act up and quit like that when it heats...then work again when it cools down. Take it back to PB and have them do it again...BTW did they give you the old parts?

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No old parts

Unfortunately they didn't give me the old parts. I wish I had asked for them. Last time I had something did I did ask for the parts, but then they just sat in my car for months. Anyways, I can take it back, but they charge me to look at it again. I wish I knew of a place that would look for free. Car-X back home used to do that, they were great.

Anyways, thanks for the help.

·
OmegaDawn
781 Posts
I had the same kind of problem,and so did a freind.
Both of them turned out to be a fuel pump problem.
Both were fuel injected with the fuel pump mounted
in the fuel tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.