Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm running Windows 2k Server and I was getting DHCP errors for some unknown reason. In my infinite wisdom I decided to reboot the server and then lost my 'D' drive.
In Disk Management it shows my Primary Volume and then it show my three spanned volumes, one of which is now apparently 'missing'?! :confused:
I am unable the reactivate it either due to the fact that it cannot locate it.
Is there anyway of recovering the spanned logical drive leaving the data unharmed? or at least any way of recovering some of the data?

Heres some extra info...

Physically I have:

2x12GB IDE drives
1x 4.3GB SCSI
1x 18.2GB SCSI.

Disk Management shows:

Disk 0
Basic
NTFS Healthy (system)

Disk 1
Basic
Free Space

Disk 2
Dynamic
Failed

Disk 3
Dynamic
Failed

Missing
Dynamic
Failed

Disks 2,3 and Missing should be spanned.

Thanks for any input,
Gary

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ok first check the IDE cable for the missing disk make sure it is tight at the motherboard and on the drive. Because you are spanning there is no redundant data and when one drive goes down the entire span is lost. Thats why disk 2 and 3 show as failed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A little off-topic...

I know this is a little off-topic, but I'm a little new to NT Technology (I'm running 2000 server on this machine, but I just got this machine). Anyway, I've been researching this concept of dynamic disks, spanned disks, etc. I don't know whether or not the terms "disk" and "volume" can be used interchangably or not (is a "volume" a partition on a disk?).

Is "spanning" where you can have two or more phyical disks (there are two hard disk drives in my computer) installed but in windows you operate them though one single drive letter and as if they were one contiguous, single disk? Please let me know if this is what it is, because that's what I'd love to do. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.