Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Behalf of my friend :)

My pc crashed a while ago, while i was loading windows media player and going on MSN messenger. Normally this wont make my PC crash but that day it did for some unknown reason..... so i reset the pc and then when i tried to start it back up again, it said

'Windows 2000 cannot start up as the file 'SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEMced' is either corruopt or missing. You can attempt to repair this file by using the original windows 2000 cd or floppy disk. and press 'r' at the first screen

After alot of searching i found a windows 2000pro disk, i tried to repair it but it didnt work as i either had to use a 'Emergancy Repair Disk' or a 'Command Console' i dont know how to use the Command Console and i dont know where to find a Emergancy Repair Disk. Anyway i was wondering how to fix this problem. I dont think the 2kpro disk will work as its an UPGRADE disk. But as i already had 2kpro installed on my system. What would the easiest way to fix this error WITHOUT REFORMATTING

Thanks

My System is a (time to be embarrased):

P3 500Mhz
8MB Matrox Millenium Gfx Card
6GB HDD
384MB RAM
350Watt PSU (i think)

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. If you need any more info on my system then please just ask for it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Read this
I fixed a similar problem by booting off the CD into the Recoveryconsole, then use the "Fixboot" command.
Sometimes works, sometimes don't.
After that, run chkdsk /r to check the Harddrive. I bet there is some bad Blocks on it already.
:wink:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i already did CHKDSK /p and then /r, they didnt come up with any bad blocks, but i did FIXBOOT /? to see wat it did, i didnt want to go ahead with it just in case i messed it up more, i have a rep for messing computers up lol. Is there some sort of guide to doing this without the emergency repair disk?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well, did you read the Microsoft-article?
To be honest with you, if you don't know your way around the Recovery-console and the commands that this Tool offers, do yourself a favor and bring this machine to a professional.
You don't want to screw it up more than it already is.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeah, i remember when i had this problem, it also took me a while to find a 2k pro disk. I didnt bother with trying to repair it, i just went off ahead and reinstalled 2kpro lol, it took the entire day to get it back to how my pc was b4 it went kurplut lol, i hope its fixed soon :smile:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.