Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn on my PC it goes to a screen that says missing or corrupt
system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys

I have put in two different XP cd's to try and get to the repair installtion. It boots off the cd and starts to load the files as it would on any install. Just before it gets to the place where it would ask you to install or repair. The screen goes blank and then right back to saying "missing or corrupt
system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys" Is there any way I can get this file back on my hard drive so it will boot?

Thanks Steve

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
hi sccass,

turn on your computer again and then keep pressing F8 and then see if you can get into safe mode. assuming you got into safe mode ok, put your windows xp cd in and then click on start -> run -> and then type in "sfc /scannow" without the "" and see if this fixes the problem. the sfc process fixes and replaces corrupt system files.

then reboot the computer and boot into windows normally and see if your problem goes away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can not get into safe mode. When I try to go to safe mode it comes back and gives me missing system32\drivers\pci.sys. Is there a way to copy the file from a floppy to the hard drive? and if so, what commands do I use to do this

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
hi again sccass,

hmmmm then this time try boot to off the windows xp cd you have. first though you will need to go into the bios and change the first boot device to cdrom, save settings and exit the bios.

put your windows xp cd in the cdrom/dvdrom and the computer should boot to the windows xp cd. then when you get the the main console where it ask if you want to install windows xp, choose repair. the computer will ask you for an admin password but if you dont have one then simply hit enter to skip the process.

then on C: type in "chkdsk /r" without the "" and make sure there is a space between chkdsk and /r. see if this fixes the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.