Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I need some help. :grin:

Firstly, my "All Programs" menu would not open. When I hover over or click on the All Programs, nothing happens. So I checked in the Start Menu folder in Documents and Settings, all my stuff are still there. Seems to be the same for all users on my computer. Tried registry fixes and "regsvr32 /i shell32.dll" but they don't help.

I'll let the pictures tell the story for next problem. :grin:

What it is now:

or sometimes

--------------------------------------

What it is suppose to be:

Spot the difference! :smile: You should know what is missing in mine now.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Did you check the delay set to open your menu? One possibility is that it is set at a very high value. The easiest way out in this case is to use TweakUIXP from MS and set the delay to zero.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I checked the Menu Delay before. It is the default 400 ms. :grin:

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Did you try zero and saw if there was any improvement? I had once this weired problem with menu delay at default value but XP was measuring time wrt a watch of Urenus :laugh:.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I could try that. :grin: But I am not too sure about using System Restore, as I am not too sure if I will lose anything if I restore to a previous date. What will System Restore exactly do?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Well basically it restores all system states to a previously specified date. If you have exe files and installed programs after that date [known as restore point], then they will be removed, but I have not seen any saved documents being removed. So I think you can always try it saving all your documents first.
Moreover you can always roll back your system restore to the state from where you stared it. You can get more technical and specific info on this matter in Windows' integrated help. System Restore I believe the best system tool that windows offer [though in my opinion there are very few good things in windows, and it becomes more apparent when you start getting used to Linux, but this is one case [system restore] where Linux can not compete with Windows- yet].

So go on and try it. Just remember to chose a restore point [date] when you had your menu working. If this solves your problem you can always reinstall lost programs, if there is any. :wave:

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I tried to restore to an earlier date but I doesn't seem to work. The 2 problems still remains. :sad:

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Greekgirl, but I tried that already. Doesn't work. Could it be my system files are damaged? I tried sfc /scannow but it replaces nothing.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Did you try Recovery Console and chkdsk /r?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Bro, then make backups and go for a clean install. MS does behave in a most weired manner [and quite frequently] which can only be solved with a clean install.

Sorry that I could not be of any meaningful assistance.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
True. What about a Repair Install? I heard you won't lose any data. Is it true, or only partially? Thanks for the great help. :smile:

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep. I have a slipstreamed SP2 to my XP SP1 disk. Just to comfirm. Does anyone here try a Repair Install and lost files/programs?

·
Registered
273 Posts
reapir install repairs system files and doesnt touch your personal files, such as documents and pictures.

boot to your XP setup disc and select repair, select the hard drive the OS is installed on and then sit back and wait for it to finish.

Afterwards run a chkdsk.

You may also want to try Registry Mechanic, it seems to repair any errors i get in windows some of which dont concern the registry at all.

Give it a go, and tell us how you get on.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
My XP SP2 disk does not offer a repair install :sigh:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.