Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents run a computer using Windows 98 and multiple users. Recently it was cleaned and disinfected and things were deleted. Now, one of the users, my mother, is having an issue that when she logs in it starts looking for a "Missing Shortcut" to GMT.exe. We aren't sure what that is/was, and it's only her account that is getting this. Is there any way to find out what programs are listed to start up when that account is logged into to determine which program is causing the problem and then be able to delete the shortcut?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

P

·
0 Posts
Who ever declared your system was clean unfortunetely was wrong. GMT.exe is a spyware program (gator family) and it seems to be deleted. However there seems to be processes present still looking for it. In this case you might want to take it back to the person who told you it was clean. or else please download install and run ewido and do a panda active scan (link is below) Sorry for the bad news but your system is not clean yet.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was someone on here who told me it was clean. And Panda Scan was run and came back clean. The problem is there's still a shortcut to it to have it start automatically when the computer is booted. And what is "ewido"?

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Click Start>Run and type in msconfig and hit enter
Click the Startup tab and look for GMT.exe, take the check out of the box beside it and click Apply>ok
Reboot
When you reboot you will get a box pop up saying you are running in selective startup, this is normal. Check the box in the right corner and close the box. You should be set to go.

P

·
0 Posts
Hmm he will need to download msconfig for 98 :) click here to get the msconfig utility for 98. I dont think gmt.exe will be listed but take a look. And also i am sorry for recommending ewido. It doesnt work with 98. Instead you can do a webroot spysweeper scan. Free trial for 1 month. Good at finding traces.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, I already did it according to Geekgirl's instructions and it's fine now.

However, something has occured (for a second time) that is unrelated that I'm curious about.

Sometimes (and only sometimes) when the computer is shut down, it will go through it's usual process, the desktop icons and taskbar will disappear, all that will be left is the wallpaper. Then it'll flicker and the wallpaper will have green stripes vertically at the top. About a quarter of an inch long. Ctrl Alt Del once does nothing, but twice restarts it. What could be causing this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.