Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:
I have a terrific HP Laptop which I purchased back in 2007 or 2008 and I rarely use it until last month, probably only once or twice a week with only a few hours.

Recently, I started to use HP Laptop on daily basis and found 'Search' at the left side of the pane/screen is missing/lost when clicking on 'Search' at the top. 'Search' at the address bar is perfectly OK tho'. :normal:

Is this issue related to not use it for a while, .... or how did it disappear?

Only seen is 'Google' ad. popping up upon clicking at 'Search' on the tool-bar of the top.:sigh:

How can I rescue 'Search' at the left pane of screen?

Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Banned
79 Posts
Are you talking about Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer or what?

Do you mean the "Search" option is missing when you (for example) right-click on your "C:" drive?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response.

'Search' Internet Explorer is missing. Other 'Search,' both 'C' and 'Address Bar' is perfectly working and OK. :normal:

Upon clicking 'Search' icon at the top of IE, 'Google' ad is popping-up in the 'Search' box, not 'Search.' Then, I'm not able to use 'Search' that is fast and easy for me to use, rather using 'Search' at the address bar. :sigh:

Is there any way for me to rescue 'Search' at the left pane of IE?

Thanks,

·
Banned
79 Posts
What version of IE are you using? I have IE8 and do not have a "Search" button in the upper left, or anywhere on the browser.

Can you post a screen shot?

It's might be a 3rd party add-on, which you can uninstall and then reinstall.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response again.

It's XP/Media Center with Service Pack 2.

I have a desktop with the exact same OP and there are 'Search,' both Address Bar and at the left pane of the IE.

Normally, I use 'Search' at the left pane of IE, mainly because it's easy and fast to use. I rarely use 'Search' at the address bar.

Upon clicking 'Search' icon at the top of tool bar of IE,

following message popping up in the 'Search.'
--------------------------------
Google
Upgrade now to IE 8 optimized for Google
Download
IE8
-----------------------------------

Any clues on this would be truly appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the response.

It says,
Internet Explorer
Version: 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gfe.100216-2016

It seems to me the Laptop is basically IE6 with Service Pack 2, as stated in my original post, I purchased the Laptop either 2007 or 2008 from BestBuy as 'Black Friday' sale.

Whenever turning off the Laptop, it takes sometimes 5 to 15 minutes to shut-down because of 'automatic update' . Then, in my suspicion, this, 'Automatic Update' is a culprit, ... not the machine that appears to me still IE6.

Any clues on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Banned
79 Posts
Thanks for the response again.

It's XP/Media Center with Service Pack 2.
XP Media Center is your Operating System, not your browser.

You are using Internet Explorer version 6, which is obsolete. You must have updated to IE7 or IE8 in order to lose your search function. You might get it back if you uninstall IE7, because I think it reverts to IE6. IE6 is not recommended because of security vulnerabilities.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.