Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On every browser (IE, Firefox, and Chrome) I am unable to play any videos online and I keep getting a message that I am missing a plugin. I have restarted several times and installed and reinstalled the latest adobe flash, but I keep getting the message that I need to install a new plugin. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

~Jennifer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the links. I already had Java installed but I installed it again, and I didn't have Shockwave so I did that. Still have the same problem though, that didn't fix it.

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,131 Posts
If you could tell us what specific plugin its asking for. Or if you could tell us the specific error message we can help you further.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I get different things in different browsers. If I open page to a youtube video, here is what happens:

In chrome, where the video should be is a black screen that says "Missing Plug-in". Thats it, and there is nothing to click on.

In Firefox, I just get a black screen.

In IE, it says "You need to upgrade your Adobe Flash Player to watch this video. Download it from Adobe". If I click on it, it takes me to a site to download Adobe Flash. But I have definitely installed Flash's latest version (multiple times).

·
Registered
354 Posts
If flash is enabled, remember that there are 2 versions. Technically if you installed one of them, either IE or Firefox/Chrome should work. There's what they call the IE-only activeX plugin and the universal plugin for "all browsers" (which btw doesn't include IE) so really you have to install both. Instead of searching Adobe's useless website, just open each browser and go to google and type "get flash" and it'll be the first result. Then it will install it in its most preferred way with the absolute latest version for each browser.

The weird thing though is that Chrome supports flash natively and Adobe's website will tell you exactly that and refuse to download any version of Flash since it doesn't have to. Kinda makes me think your machine has a problem with flash but just in case, open Chrome them click on the little wrench thingy on the far right then click About Google Chrome and on the window that pops up, it will say "checking for updates" on the bottom and download and install any updates that apply. There's been over 100 fixes recently so one of them may have been related to flash.

EDIT: but it's WAAAAAY more likely that you have some paranoid, idiotic protection software like an antispyware or antivirus product that's blocking all flash. What are you running for protection?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Too bad they don't want to cough up a copy of the actual installer from that page. I want to put it on my USB drive but nooooo they want to use the stupid adobe download manager. They don't appear to actually have a link to download the installer for new computer installs. Talk about a waste of time and bandwidth! Now I have to go dig it out of some obscure temp folder on my own computer just to update the installer I have on my flash drive. Grrrrrrr, I hate adobe.

EDIT: correction, I got it off File Hippo. If your site sucks so badly that you have to go to someone else's site to get a more friendly version of your product's installer, you just mega failed. Hurray for adobe.

EDIT: never mind, the download failed with ACCESS DENIED because appaerntly it was linked to adobe's website and like I said, they hate their users

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I installed and installed and installed over and over again. I always have a problem with IE and the Active X. Everything installs just fine with Firefox and Chrome, and it STILL doesn't work.

I didn't any virus protection or antispyware before this problem started. After it started I downloaded Avast to check for a virus that might be causing this.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Avast is pretty epic but make sure you turn off webrep cuz it's annoying and sandboxing cuz it 10000000x more annoying :p It sounds like you might be stuck with a half install of flash perhaps. There's some way to forcibly remove all traces of flash and then reinstall but I don't remember what it is. Still dunno how embedded flash doesn't run in Chrome though. Your computer does meet the minimum requirements for flash, right?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.