Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My computer crashed in the middle of a system restore and when it restarted it said that it can't start because of a missing or corrupt NFTS.sys file. I have several files on my hard drive that I don't want to lose. (Don't lecture me about backup cuz I already know!) Can someone please help me at least get into my computer and get the files out? I can't even start in safe mode, just get to recovery console on the XP disk. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what i'm saying. That is the only place I can get to is system recovery. I don't know how to fix this problem through it though. I would prefer to restore my computer back to where it was befere I attempted to do the system restore, but it not I really need to salvage some files on my HD somehow.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I asked the same question for 3 weeks never did get an answer. All I got was a SORRY looks like an A:format C:
I even tried rewriting the master boot record. Did NOT work.
Got in the recovery console and my drive was formatted to FAT12.
Unless that is was NTFS IS? Got me! They never taught me that in school. I know FAT, FAT32 and NTFS ( I never asked exactly what NTFS was) there's 8,16,32. I am really not into binary machine language or hexidecimal for that matter. So check your format file system on hardrive. Sorrrrry can't be of more help:|

·
Registered
30 Posts
The NTFS.sys is your File Format Driver for WinNT/2k/XP .
1) You could boot up to the WinXP console and copy the NTFS.sys from the i386 folder on the XP-Cd to the %systemroot\system32\drivers folder on your harddisk
2) You could run a complete reinstallation (don't be scared-none of your files will be deleted!) - when it comes to the poit that WinXP searches for previous versions of windows , it will display e.g. "c:\windows - NTFS WindowsXP" as Operating System and you'll be asked if you want to REPAIR THIS OS.
Do so - all defektive , corrupf and missing files will be fixed or replaced and your XP will reboot to normal system. Afterwards there will be a hardware detection and the configuration...and blablabla...you know the procedure. But afterwards, your OSwill be okay.
3) If the repair also failed - try to boot from XP cd to repair console and copy THE WHOLE CONTENT OF THE SYSTEM PARTITION TO ANOTHER PARTITION. Then format c:\ and reinstall windows XP. The only problem: you'll have to manually re-integrate your data to the Operarting system. Settings , wallpapers , sounds and stuff like that will be lost.

if you need further help, simply mail me - I#ll help for sure (had enough crashs to repair ;) ).I'm online till Sunday 16:00 , then IÄll go on vacation...

Greetz
Pen

·
Registered
30 Posts
ohhhh - sorry if I spam around here... i missed the question about the file system.

NO - Fat12 is not the same as NTFS.
NTFS is based on OS/2s HPFS and works just the other was round than FAT.

As we all know, FAT works on base of an File Allocation Table, which means, that if this table is malfunctional, all data is lost.
Secondary, Fat32 means that every Allocation Unit was outnumbered by a number with 32 bit length. Which again means that since Fat32 , Windows could use more than 2 gb of hddmemory.In brief, the Number behind the "FAT" describes the (bit-) length of the number the os can use to allocate files on the HDD.And FAT itself is just a kind of INVENTORYLIST and MAP for your HDD.

NTFS works right the other way round - there is no central File Allocation Table , but every File contains a kind of "MFT-Tag" which referrs to the MFT ( Master File Table , 2 of them are stored on each partition ). So every File is a part of the file system because it contains a valid information about its location , largeness , attributes and so on.

But I won't annoy you with details - you can find this kind of information at any search engine. The only thing I wanted to say:
No , FAT 12 is definitively NOT NTFS. :winkgrin:
FAT12 is up to now only used for smal storage devices as compact flash, smartmedia, mmc/sd-cards or USBSticks.

Greetz
Pen

@moonchick: I hope you'll get your system runnig or at least my advice helped you to recover your data. Let me know if not - perhaps we'll find another way...

·
Registered
1 Posts
i too have the same problem, except it happens when i try to boot from the win xp pro cd... it tells me that its loading all those files then hangs when it says starting windows. after that i will either get an error message stating a problem has been detected... stop:0x00000024.... ntfs.sys - adress f7.... im not sure what any of that means, but would i be better installing to a different hard drive and reformatting the original?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got this on a laptop that I support. It is the worst blue screen I have gotten yet. Usually I can slave the drive and pull the data off that way. Every computer that I slaved it to (5 different ones) with both winxp and win2k blue screened with same error. I never have had that happen before.

My SOLUTION:
After many hours trying to get the data, I booted to a floppy. Ghosted the drive from dos to another hard drive. Used Ghost Explorer to get the data. This was my last resort. I could care less about this drive. In fact I might crush it with all the hours of agony

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an issue that must be addressed!

I had this same problem, too. The error showed up "NTFS.sys" is missing or corrupted. All I need is the system recovery disk for XP to repair the file right? I had to shut it off to acquire said disk since this is a hand me down and I didn't have the disks at home.

Well when I went to turn it back on to do so, the monitor won't turn on. Won't even react to the computer anymore. What do I do?

·
Visiting Expert, Microsoft Support Team
937 Posts
qwk_slvr

Please create your own (new) thread and post your problem there.

The thread that you posted in was last dated 2004.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.