Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Dell Demetion 8400 with Windows XP. I recenty purchased a refurbished Dell from Dell Auction for my daughter to replace her old Compaq with windows 98. The problem is the refurbished Dell came with no operating system. I thought I could just install Windows XP using the install cd that came with my Dell. It isn't working. Any ideas? Or should I just return this computer and buy one with Windows already installed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes I did format the drive and actually finally was able to install windows xp. Works great and I also installed wireless adapter for internet access. Everything was going fine until I noticed that instead of a 40 GB HD that it is supposed to have, it has less than 8 GB's. Now, I'm waiting to hear back from Dell. I'm feeling a little duped since the HD doesn't match with the service tag on the computer, the invoice or the system I bid on. I will come back and post how it turns out.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sounds like when you formatted you have set the drives capacity to 8GB.

You will have to reinstall Windows XP. When the install comes up where you have to create partitions, delete all partitions and recreate and new one with all available space. (Should be around 32GB or so).

Let me know how you go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the reinstall and removed the partitions. It was a success. I now have 36 GB instead of the 8 I had before. Thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.