Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ho'kay. My wife and I just built a new computer running XP x64 with a AMD Phenom processor, 1TB Hitachi internal SATA (currently running as IDE in the BIOS), 4 GB RAM, and a 560W Rosewill PSU. Now, I have roughly 40GB of music on a previous 120GB Maxtor IDE HDD from my old computer that I'd like to move over to the new one. I plug it in, boot it up, and surprise, surprise - the HDD does not show up in My Computer. It does, however, show up in Device Manager. I've run TestDisk, but it hangs during step G at 47% through checking the drive and gives a read error. I've tried the alternate solution with TestDisk given here, but there's nothing under the Advanced option. So, any ideas?

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
The drive is by itself on the primary, or only ide connector? Is the drive
set to master? Does the drive show up in disk management? If it does
show up and is set to master initialize the drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it's the only thing on the IDE connector and is set to cable select. It did show up in disk management, but it may all be moot. I tried to put it back in my old computer, and it would not boot. The boot would halt and say "DISK DRIVE ERROR". I think it may have failed. If that's the case, where do I go from there?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.