Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, (even though none of you are actually in here as i write)
I recently had to re-install xp (virus related probably) and since then I cannot access my second hdd.
In Admin tools/Computer management/Storage/Disk management
my drive is still listed as being healthy/active but has no drive letter. (hence - no access) From the action/all tasks menu, all I can do is delete partition ( please no!!! as i have about 30GB of data, and a letter to my mum)
So after all that... can anyone please HELLLLLLLP me get my letter back.

Thanks in advance x

·
Registered
529 Posts
I know you just gotta mount it. ...but as to how, I have no clue at this point. Maybe I can ask someone who knows tomorrow (assuming I remember :pray: ). I think it is accessable under the disk devices, but I have never seen it.

Here's something you can try. Right click on any disk, hit Properties. Go Hardware. In this new window, hit Policies. Hit that Populate button at the bottom. I think (but am not sure) you can then mount it from there for good. ...then again, I may have just sent you over to Afghanistan when you should be in Iraq.:D

Anyway, a delete will be completely unnecessary. We just gotta mount it somehow (assuming it wasn't corrupted in that problem you had, and it may not have been).

Also try disconnecting the IDE cable from that other hard disk, boot up, shut down, reconnect the cable, then boot again and see what happens. Can you see the hard disk device in device properites?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hate to use the F word but........I have had to format guys.
I tried Fdisk/mbr to try and sort out boot record but still no access and still no drive letter. so I guess its all over unless I can unformat and recover data. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
technoflop said:
I hate to use the F word but........I have had to format guys.
I tried Fdisk/mbr to try and sort out boot record but still no access and still no drive letter. so I guess its all over unless I can unformat and recover data. Any ideas?
There are software utilities that can recover data after a format. I do not know of any that are free though. I use software from Ontrack, http://www.ontrack.com/software/ to recover data.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Back again guys! and have all my data with me. Look!! Anyway, Zvalkor, I took your advice and used Easy recovery pro and Hey Presto!!
Thanks all

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.