Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used partition magic last night on a pc and split the current hd into 2 drives. I installed win98 on the new one and once loaded I went into explorer to see where the other drive i had was located.

To my horror I cant find it anywhere, the details off the drive i created seem to be correct - 3.5 gb but the other 6.5 gb cant be found anywhere.

Has anyone any ideas how i can find it?, i thought it would just be detailed under d: or something

please help me...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Are both Drive types the same? FAT NTFS

Have you installed PM on Windows 98 to see if it can identify the partition?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the post...

no the new format is FAT while the one i have lost is NTFS

I havent as yet loaded up the PM but will do it tonight then...

cheers

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
Windows 98 by itself cannot read an ntfs drive. That is why you cannot "see" it. I am surprised that you do not see a drive letter, that reports unknown file type would you like to format error.

But standard windows 98 cannot read a ntfs partition. Hope this helps a little. Why there is no drive letter????:confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep I understand that now..

Trouble is though that when i start up oc it goes straight to win98 and doesnt give me the option to start under 2k. Will it be possible to change so that I can pick 2K or 98?

thanks again for your help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks

Well folks I loaded up partition magic onto 98 and fidled about a bit. went back to 2k and changed the drive format to fat32 and with a few more tweaks i have got the system booting up in 98 and 2 different drives now showing.

Happy days.

final question - would it be alright to use the system recovery cd that came with the pc to setup all the correct drivers again. I know it will reformat the drive but it will be the c drive and all my info is on d drive now so this shouldnt be a problem - right :confused:

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
final question - would it be alright to use the system recovery cd that came with the pc to setup all the correct drivers again. I know it will reformat the drive but it will be the c drive and all my info is on d drive now so this shouldnt be a problem - right?
Probably wrong. Usually when you have repartitioned your HDD, those recovery disks will boot up then complain that the HDD isn't the original, expected size. Your only option will be to either wipe the HDD clean (erasing all partitions), or quit.

In my experience these utilities are designed to be "pushbutton" tools for the consumer mass market. They are not meant to be as flexible as using your own O/S reinstall CD's, which are able to only operate on the partition you tell it to. A few will give you the option to reinstall specific apps. But for the main O/S, it's original partitioning, or nothing.

The drivers on that CD would be old anyway, compared to what you can probably download today.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.