Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was working on my computer last night and decided to reboot.
After I rebooted, Win XP told me that one of my drives needed to be checked for consistency, so I let it do that.

While it was doing that, I got the message that the index entry for MYDOCU~ was deleted. Imagine my surprise then. After Win XP was done loading, I tried to access the folder "My Documents" and it's gone!
It's not in the recycle bin and not where it normally is either. I did a search for it and nothing. (Now I'm really panicking, because my work is all in it)

I thought ok... maybe it's gone... so I take a look at my free diskspace and it hasn't increased at all. It should have because I have more than 15 gigs of data in My Documents.

Does anyone have any idea how I can recover my poor lost data??

I run WinXP Home Edition on a 1.8 Ghz machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh. I patched my PC and even installed the whole shebang of patches from Windows Update.

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to TSF sumomokun.............:D

Have you tried all the usual things like scandisk and defrag. You could also try doing a fast repair by booting to the XP CD and following the prompts.

I take it you don't believe in backing up your valuable data.......:no:

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Since you got an error from SCANDISK, my guess is the directory entry for the My Documents folder was corrupt, and they turned it into a file. You need some data recovery software to search for the individual data files. You also need to seriously address your backup strategy! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I do periodic backups. Most of my data are backed up. But the things I was working on last night weren't. That's why I was concerned.

I haven't tried scan disk. I was afraid that if I use the PC too much, it might overwrite the files (or so I've read on a few websites on data recovery).

It wasn't SCANDISK that did it. It was CHKDISK.. Or maybe they're the same program?

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
heh

i also have read that you dont want to use the pc.

i have hear that you want to use some sort of a boot disk, or boot cd with a data recovery program on it.

you can also start windows with a boot disk and scan it that way. and that will sometimes bring stuff back without overwriting.

~BoB~

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found my files. They're under a folder named found.000
Except I'm unable to access it.
So I finally got hold of Easy Recovery Professional. Now I'm crossing my fingers and see if I can recover them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.