Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday morning, my commercial version of CounterSpy notified me of an update to version 1.5. After I updated the software, I used the computer for several more hours, and was going to do some video capture, so I rebooted the computer (reboot was not required after the CS update.) When the computer came back up, I was greeted with only a Windows Explorer window! No desktop icons, no background, no system tray or clock, no nothing! My system now acts like it is a throw back to Windows for Workgroups 3.11! I can drill down through the folders to the executable programs, and everything seems to run, however that is a major pain. Also, just for grins, I tried to drag a program out of the explorer window, but just like Win 3.11, I was not allowed. I have tried a system restore to last Thursday, I have checked the system.ini and the win.ini. I have started a new program in task manager (explorer.exe) but instead of getting the desktop, I get another explorer window. Also did a search in the registry for "shell=" but found nothing. I am out of ideas, and have yet to receive a response from SunBelt Software, the maker of CounterSpy. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Hello and Welcome to TSF

Do you get the same results in Safe Mode?
You can try to do a repair install, follow these instructions

Set the computer to boot from cd first in the BIOS
Place the xp cd in cdrom and reboot
Boot from the xp cd and choose install
Ignore the first repair option and continue with install
When windows finds the previous installation and offers to repair
then do the repair
If you have xp sp2 installed it needs to be incorporated into your xp disk or it will not offer the repair option only the clean install

How to perform a Repair Installation of Windows XP

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.