Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An unfortunate software removal consequence has occurred and I have been searching a solution. What I have discovered so far…The Change/Remove button for existing programs on the machine at the time of the software removal have disappeared. I am at the point of locating missing registry key info. When I go to the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall. All of the programs on the machine at the time of software removal are not listed. I do not have a backup of the registry. Any suggestions of how to repopulate the list?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The directions in the link specifies the program name still listed in the Uninstall folder. That is not the case in this instance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too am having a problem with my Change/Remove buttons disappearing all of a sudden, that is for all programs installed prior to when this issue started.

Did you ever find a solution to this? Any help you could give me would be most appreciated.

If anyone else can help, please do!

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Hi there...

Feel free to try the attached registry tweak as it may help solve the problem with the change/remove buttons.

Post back on any progress please :)

p.s - You will need to reboot and then try add/remove programs again to see if it worked or not :)

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
nickster - thanks for your help. but it doesn't seem to have fixed the problem.

that said, my expertise is low. i may not have applied your solution correctly. was i just supposed to double click and run that registry fix? nothing much seemed to happen when i did that. all i saw was a note pad document open with some registry text in it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i tried right-clicking but saw no option to merge the file into the registry.

i opened the registry editor, clicked "file" then "import" and chose the fix you sent. it said it had been successfully added to the registry (was this right?).

i then rebooted. sadly, no change.

·
Registered
8 Posts
thanks. i'll try these and let you know. any more hints as to how to properly apply these tweaks? does opening the regestry editor and importing them do the trick?

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Some systems prevent double clicking as a mode to merge the file...if that's the case with you, use the attached registry file to disable that feature (you will need to right click it to merge it then after rebooting, all you should have to do is double click and then confirm :)

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
thanks again for all your help. i'm pretty sure i tried all these tweaks correctly. unfortunately, there's been no change.

i'm seeing this problem pop up on other boards as well. no one really seems to have found a solution yet. one common theme is that this problem seems to arise for most folks after they've tried to uninstall Norton System Works. Any thoughts anyone?

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
It really wouldn't surprise me if there was a genuine link with Systemworks.

Maybe you can try running an installer for a program you already have then you should get the option to repair/uninstall. Choose repair first and then see if it's updated in add/remove programs. If that doesn't work, try uninstalling via the installer, reboot and then reinstall the program :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
ok, that worked for the individual program. is the only solution to do that for all of them? unfortunately, some of the programs were downloaded. i didn't keep all of the installers.

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Unless someone else can think of any other way...I don't know i'm afraid.

We've tried the usual registry fixes and haven't had any joy....

Perhaps try a system restore to a date when it was ok???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.