Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went and made a pretty big mistake...
My computer "was" as listed an Abit KD7-E motherboard with 512 RAM.
WAS is the acting word here.

I was trying to upgrade my memory from 512 to a gig of memory.

I searched out a place online and found 1st choice memory to be a
descent choice for purchasing my memory, as they had a lookup to see what motherboard was being used and matched the memory to the mobo.
My lookup said PC2700 memory. So I ordered it. The price was good at $24
for the 1GB stick.
Well expecting that I got what I ordered I tried to place it in the memory slot. Went to turn the darned thing on and .... NOTHING!!!!

I tried again same results. I replaced the old memory and tried to turn on the computer and nothing happened. Thats when I realized that the mobo was fried.

I found out that what I received was 1GB of DDR2. The PC2700 is DDR has 184 pins and the DDR2 has 240 pins and the spacer is in a different place place.

So 2 questions come to mind, 1 is does anyone here have an Abit KD7-E
That I can purchase and how can I put the old HD in a different computer?

Thanks

Brian

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
Welcome to TSF. :wave:

Put the old RAM back.

Clear CMOS:
Get rid of static electricity by touching a radiator or bare metal on the computer case.
Then unplug the computer from the wall outlet and open the case.
Remove the little "coin-like" battery on the motherboard.
Move the "clear CMOS" jumper on the motherboard from pins 1&2 to pins 2&3.
Wait 30 minutes.
Replace the jumper to pins 1&2.
Put the battery back.
Close the case and start the computer.
Enter BIOS and choose "Load setup defaults" (or something similar) - save and exit BIOS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did all of that.

First thing I did was to replace the old RAM - did not work :upset:

Then, I tried to reset the cmos - no way. :upset:

I then noticed that the hard drive was not running, and the cd and cd burner would not open. when I unplugged them from the motherboard, the HD ran and the cd's doors opened. :upset:

Now I tried to put the HD into another computer but would not boot with the motherboard and system...however, it loaded up once and everything
looked ok. but quickly went into a reboot sequence.

I know that the HD is ok and undamaged. I just need a new motherboard.

Brian

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had my computer unplugged for at least 1 week. I took the battery out of the mobo, and reset the bios. I left it like that overnight. I then replaced the jumper to the correct setting, and put the battery back.
I plugged it back into the wall and tried turning the computer on.
The results are not good.

I still don't hear the HD. I still cannot open up the CD drawers, and I get no video at all.

Also the computer only stays on for about 20 seconds then shuts down.

If this is not a motherboard problem, I don't know or understand what it could be.

Brian

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
Make sure the CPU heatsink isn't loose. If it is you have to reapply thermal paste before you mount it again.

Even if your motherboard was faulty the HDD would spin and the CD tray would open.
So - either the PSU is dead or some connection(s) is/are loose.
Try another PSU.

What PSU and video card do you have?

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I think that when he put the wrong memory in the motherboard and then turned it on the power supply got zapped. Finding another power supply would be the thing to do here. The connectors on the motherboard are keyed so the ram only goes in one way, to get another piece of RAM in the wrong connector it has to be forced in and when it is in will short the unit out thus blowing the power supply.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.