Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, virgin poster here. My kit is comprised of an Advent 3209 tower,withPent4 2GHz,Mobo is Elite L4S5M with SiS645 & 961 chipsets running XP Home. My problem is erratic movements from my standard mouse, which starts a few minutes after boot-up. Pointer clicks to lower-left corner randomly, and any movement of the mouse causes multiple windows to pop up, eventually resulting in freeze-up. Keyboard works through this in a limited fashion. Clearance of fault requires a COLD boot. Changed the mouse to a known good one, anti-everythinged the hell out of it, got all the updates available. Fans all working, and am not taxing the CPU. Tried TrendMicro too. Left a wedge of Cheddar on the mat overnight. Still no go. Any mouse tamers out there? This problem is really starting to get to me.

·
TSF Enthusiast
914 Posts
A wedge of cheddar? lol. I have had this problem many times, especially whilst playing games - although i'm not sure at to what causes the problem, to me it's a driver issue.

·
Registered
878 Posts
By standard mouse i'm assuming you mean a regular PS 2 mouse with the little ball on the bottom? Any chance it's wireless or optical?

·
Registered
146 Posts
pull the ball out and check to see if the rollers are all gunked up, this is a big prob with those, go with optical or laser if u can afford, best buy had back in aug a sale on a laser office set, logitech mx3000 normally 100 bucks but i got it for 60 lol, wireless as well, didnt like wireless at first but love it now, wont go back thats for sure lol. and the batteries are not used up real fast either,

but the problem ur having is prolly the rollers are gunked for eratic movement lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
of mice and men

Thank you for your sales pitch, but I prefer blind mice. With previously cleaned rollers. Been there, done that, got the T shirt.lol

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
if the ball is worn you can get a replacement ball
reinstall the drivers,if they are supplied by windows
in the device manager uninstall the mouse and reboot and see if it makes a difference after windows reinstalls them
in the mouse settings check that the box is not checked to park the mouse,this maybe why it goes to where it does on it's own

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hmmm, odd. If it's wireless you can usually count on RF interference, and if it's optical you can usually count on shiny surfaces screwing up the tracking, or sun messing with it as well.

I'd suggest what dai has already, make sure drivers are fresh and hope for the best.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pied Piper Update!

Thanks to all who have responded to my plea (Rash, Dai, Mav, & War) but so far no joy. In desperation, I re-formatted my HD, and have installed a new copy of XP Pro (dumped the Home incase the O/S was harbouring an undetected virus) Ran it for a few minutes, then lost use of the mouse again. I should add that I am at present using an older, slower comp to communicate with you. Since this behavior is still present, I'm beginning to suspect the MB or the CPU after all. It may or may not be significant, but after closing down, I need to cut power completely for an hour or so to regain mouse control at boot up. If I need to install drivers to the board how , step-by-step do, I accomplish this, and is there a way to diagnose whether the CPU is in fact junk? Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.