Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it was possible to mirror two identical drives (IDE) in Win2000 without RAID or third party software.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
It was in NT, I assume it is possible in 2K as well. Oops, reading through the help it says you have to 2K Server. Do you have server?

Control Panel - Admin Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management.

Do a Help on mirrored volumes and you get:

To create a mirrored volume

Open Disk Management.

Right-click the unallocated space on one of the dynamic disks where you want to create the mirrored volume, and then click Create Volume.

In the Create Volume wizard, click Next, click Mirrored volume, and then follow the instructions on your screen.

Notes

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

To open Disk Management, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. In the console tree under Storage, click Disk Management.

You can create mirrored volumes only on computers running Windows 2000 Server.

You need at least two dynamic disks to create a mirrored volume.
Mirrored volumes are fault tolerant.

Mirrored volumes cannot be extended or striped.

The same drive letter is used for both copies (mirrors) of a mirrored volume.
BTW, mirroring IS RAID 1.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I am trying to mirror two drives but when I change them to dynamic it doesn't give me the option to mirror. I haven't tried mirroring drives this way in a long time. I thought that after you make the drives dynamic it gives you the option to mirror them. I have only did this with a RAID controller. Any one of you guys know how to do this without the RAID controller.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Which one of us posted first? Did you see edit to above?

Are you using 2k Server?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since you cannnot mirror in Win2000Pro, is there a cheap alternative to get Win2000pro to be able to do this. (i.e. thrid party software). Thanks.

P.S.
Psuedocyber I didn't mean you were of no help. I meant MS is no help.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To continue on this post, I would like to know if anyone tried Partition Magic to do what I want to do? Because Partition Magic allows you to copy partitions from one drive to the other. But what I want to know is, does Partition Magic copy all the files (locked files and all)?

Because if it does then I could just go that route with the two hard drives.

P.S.

Thanks Psuedocyber for the help anyway.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Well, do you just want to copy one drive to the other?

Or do you want to have 2 drives hot all the time and when you write data it writes to both at the same time (mirroring).

The same company that does Partition Magic also does a program called Drive Copy which is excellent.

Or could you just not be in a dos window and do an:

>attrib *.* -h -s
>xcopy *.* /e/s d:\

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want two hot drives but thanks for the tip. I am currently looking at third party software (which I don't want to do) to see if I could achieve this with a minimum cost.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I would recommend you look at a hardware solution instead! More reliable. If you only want RAID 1, it shouldn't be too expensive, but I haven't priced them.

PromiseTech and ... I forget the other company that I was looking at recently. :upset:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. You were a lot of help. But I'll way my options and decide. Thanks again.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
First off, RAID and a backup with something like GHOST or Drive Image are quite different. If you are running a RAID configuration and your software decides to delete critical files or directories, they automagically disappear from all your data! If you have run an image or other backup, that data is obviously still intact. What are you trying to accomplish, backup or reliability? RAID is for run-time reliability, not backup.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Trying to mirror two drives so that if one fails you could use the other drive with now lost data.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.