Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mirror to Mirror Ghost drive, in case of HD failure:

I want a secondary drive in my PC such that,
it is exactly Ghost copy ( mirror to mirror ) of my primary drive including programs and all operating soft wares )
and it copies every once, in a month, to keep it updated
so that when the primary drive has crash / fails,
I can simply replace with the other one,
and computer will start working normally without any problem.

How this can be achieved?

Is it possible that Norton Ghost Utility can do that?

What is the best program for this? Anyone has done it?

The copy program should not use any window utility files
in order to make mirror to mirror copy of the primary drive.

I am dying for this kind of facility.
Pl. suggest me this remedy, about how it can be achieved, and which is the best software for this.

HD are pretty cheaper now a days.
Pl. narrate yr experiences in this regards.

Thanks.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Why not buy a RAID card -- unless your motherboard already supports RAID. You can run two drive in RAID 1 configuration (mirrored), and if one drive fails you can continue to use your computer. After you replace the failed drive, you can have the RAID array rebuild (re-mirror) to the new, empty drive.

Using a RAID 1 configuration, you are always backed up. The only drawback is if you have a file corruption problem or a virus -- then it would be on both drives.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thx 4 replies n' nice ideas.

I am not any much familiar with raid card or
acronis Program.

Can you pl dig into it
and explain lil more about how it works, its price, mertit, demerits.. etc.

Also sugets other strong methods that you use and works great.

Thx.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Speedo said:
Do you have a DVD burner in your machine? If so get a copy of Ghost and burn your backups.
Hi:

The concern is not about losing the bulky back up data, or any pic. Image/video/song files.. etc. Sure. They can be backed up on CD and DVDs.

The point is to bring back the crashed system as a whole back
In the service as usual.

When the window crashes and you need to reformat the whole computer, it's pain inda neck to re install all programs and drivers all over,
When many times you don’t have CD, password, updated drivers, patch, program using approval from Office XP and many such Software maNuers, to call over and get the passwords to operate them again.

That's why,

I am looking for something like Mirror 2 mirror / ghost (Clone)copy of existing primary drive as if, the original fails, you simply, replace with the another one and windows comes up as usual, without ANY problem.

If you ghost/clone the whole image on DVD
And while booting from that disk, I still doubt that the WINXP could load the whole system program (Just like from C:" drive) from a DVD disk. With me?

Back up of datas and huge flies is not a problem.
V R talking about the system as a whole with many soft wares programs (some in 1000's dollar of cost and value) and getting them back as normal in any kind of window crashes.

Pl. suggest better programs for cloning and perfect solution to this.

Thx.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I wipe my hard drive every three months with DBAN and restore the whole deal off of DVD's without any issue. It's exactly the way it was when I burned the backup, OS, drivers and all.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Speedo said:
I wipe my hard drive every three months with DBAN and restore the whole deal off of DVD's without any issue. It's exactly the way it was when I burned the backup, OS, drivers and all.
Could you pl. dig into n' Xplain in detail. What is Dban? How it works? Clone, ghost?

I amze and highly wonder that DVD disk can write 200gig of stuff so systamatically and can get reload of the whole inluding system softwares, when needed. I doubt bigtime. !!.

Uptillnow I have lost tons and tons ( loads and loads of files and datas ) due to those bloody Cds ( regular and RWs ) who even could not give back those
700 MB of data which was burned to a CD !

At some stage they give up and write smthg in some sector and make you hanging no where
by saying that the disc is now having only 20 mb and not 700MB of data that you think. This thing happened to me 100 thousand times and with Adaptec, nero, Clone CD and all diff. burning software technique.

IMHO,
if someone could write 6.7/7.2 gig of backup data ( in 2-3 diff strokes and diff time ) on a blank DVD and could get back from it,

I would consider that as an 8th wonder !

Uptill now all CDs have frauded me and I have lost tons of file
due to bad burning,
bad string,
sector loss,
intiliazing files missed
and all other ways, especially when you write in 3-4 strokes, keeping the CD open.

I may go for 1-2 gig of flash drive, before I depend and rely on any blank DVD disks.

IMO CD/DVD drives ( for writing) ought 2 b obselete very soon and be replaced by usb flash drives.

If you can have 200 gIG HD drive for 35-40 dollars (rebates)
why taking risk of storing it on 28 blank DVDs of 7 Gig each?
I would never do. I ahte CD and DVD burning methods,.. its 100% risk and no safety of data at all.

My opinion only.

Regds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.