Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This was in the post about working P4C800 systems. Thought I would separate it to see if anyone has any ideas. Clintfan also said he didn't want to get into problem solving in that thread.

I'm first time builder. My system seems to run OK. Much superior to my old Dell 233! Ran Sandra, results look reasonable. I have two fairly minor problems. Would appreciate comments/help on these.

1. Get the POST message "System failed due to CPU over clocking". Text of POST says I have a 2.4 GHz P4 running at 2.4GHz. System then boots up and runs fine.

2. The MB has two groups of USB pins for a total off four ports in addition to the 4 ports that are directly attached to the MB. I only have one working USB port on each of these two pin sets. The other four that are directly attached to the MB work. (I have six total working USB ports) Windows and Sandra say I have eight ports. Plug a printer in and only 6 of 8 work. I had one group of pins plugged into the two USB ports on the front of the case. Tried the USB header that came with the MB with same results, one of two ports works.

I have had one suggestion to clear CMOS. I have not tried or done this before. Would this do any good? What would I lose? What do you do to recover the lost settings? Looked procedure up in motherboard manual, sounds fairly simple.

Thanks in advance for help/suggestons.

The system:
Motherboard: ASUS P4C800-E Dlx
CPU: Intel 2.4 MHz P4 with 800 MHz FSB
Cooler: Intel retail heat sink and fan
Memory: Two sticks of 512Mb Kingston 400MHz 3200DDR ECC from the ASUS approved list.
Video: 19 inch Dell from my previous system
Case: Antec 1080 Plus
Power Supply: Antec 430 watt
DVD ROM: Sony configured as master on ATA 2
DVD Burner: Sony 510A configured as slave
Hard Drives: Two Maxtor 80 Gig 7200 RPM 8 Mb cache configured as RAID 1 on the Promise controller
Sound: On board
LAN: On board connected to cable modem
Video Card: Radeon 9600 Pro
Keyboard: Memorex (cheap) with cord
All PCI slots empty
Fans: Three that came in case. PS fan connector plugged in MB for temperature indication. Fans run off PS, not plugged in MB.
Mouse: Microsoft Optical with cord
BIOS: Version 11, everything default excecpt for POST voice enabled
Software: Windows XP Pro

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know there's an MS update for WinXP regarding USB. Knowledge Base 822603 - XP SP1 USB 1.1 and 2.0 Update

Dunno what it's for or if it'll help, but maybe it's related.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Harry said:
This was in the post about working P4C800 systems. Thought I would separate it to see if anyone has any ideas. Clintfan also said he didn't want to get into problem solving in that thread.

I'm first time builder. My system seems to run OK. Much superior to my old Dell 233! Ran Sandra, results look reasonable. I have two fairly minor problems. Would appreciate comments/help on these.

1. Get the POST message "System failed due to CPU over clocking". Text of POST says I have a 2.4 GHz P4 running at 2.4GHz. System then boots up and runs fine.
Try turning off the voice message posting and see what happens. I'm guessing that the system will post with one beep and everything will be fine. To my knowledge this is the first Asus motherboard with this voice posting. So there may be errors with this setup. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Enzoblue,
I went to the XP update site and downloaded the USB drivers. No help. Thanks anyway.

Javora,
I suspect you are correct. I'll give it a try. Just wondered if anyone had this problem.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
This mobo contains enough hardware to support 8 USB 1.1/2.0 ports. So the tools are probably just reporting based on the hardware chips present.

In the BIOS setup screens you can choose to activate some number of those ports. Default is 8 I think. I set mine to 6. But tools might still report I have 8... I would not be at all surprised.

If you are having cabling problems, dead ports etc., please see my "How To" thread about attaching USB ports, it was posted in the last 2 weeks sometime. Maybe it will help you straighten out the signalling.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

(clintfan is travelling and thus not at regular computer and so have to keep this short, but still can't tear himself away from this forum, hehe!)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
clintfan,
I did wonder if it was the wiring to the case. I checked it out by plugging in the one piece connectors that are on the add on header that came with the motherboard. I got the same results. One of the USB ports works in each set of pins. The way I am configured now, the 5/6 pins are plugged into one of the one piece connectors that go to the ASUS furnished USB header, the 7/8 pins are plugged into wires that go to the two USB ports on the front of the case. One of the 5/6 ports work and one of the 7/8 works. I will check out the message that I get when I try to print with an inoperative port and post that. BIOS is configured with eight USB ports.

BTW I talked to Antec, they were very helpful. The case wiring is individual wires with function printed on each connector. G1, G2, etc. There are nine Antec USB connectors. One of these is labeled G (I believe it's G1) and has two wires going in it. So, there are two connectors with this ground designation. Antec said ignore this two wire connector and plug the other eight wires on the eight available pins on the board.

I had done a search and found your "How to" article. I'll be out of the house most of the day. Will post the message I get from Windows when I return. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey harry i have the same case and motherboard as you and i succesfully hooked up my front usb's. make sure you bios settings are correct. My settings are that i have only 6 usb's enabled, speed setting is set to high speed, and legacy support is disabled. both usb's are connected to headers 5 and 6.

What antec told you about the two ground wires going to the same pin is correct. Just tape that connector out of the way and use the remaining 8 connectors.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have done some more testing of my USB ports.

When I plug my printer in one of the ports on the front of the case it works. Plugged into the other port I get this message:

"USB Device Not Recognized
One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message."

So, I tried plugging my digital camera in the port that would not work with the printer. Computer recognized the camera and I successfully downloaded pictures.

I have no idea what's going on. Believe I'll declare victory and just use my new computer. The POST voice message is still there, might try Javora's suggestion and turn it off. When it boots I get the CPU over clocking message, two beeps for the two USB devices plugged in and turned on, a long beep and the message now loading operating system.

Thanks for everyone's time and suggestions.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Harry, mak sure you have done the installs discussed in ICH5, 875P, P4C800: Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility, against ALL of your USB devices. Your issue --half of your USB devices working sometimes and not other times-- must be very frustrating, and sounds to me like some stuff is not properly set up yet.

Hate to suggest this, but maybe "for now" hook up the devices that work, to the ports that they work in, and wait till later to solve the problem. The answer may come to you.

-clintan

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Unplugged my printer and scanner, both USB devices and rebooted. Took a look at Device Manager and here is what I found under USB Controllers.

Intel(R) 82081EB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
Intel(R) 82081EB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
Intel(R) 82081EB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
Intel(R) 82081EB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller (has an XP driver)
USB Root Hub (XP driver, 2 ports available)
USB Root Hub (XP driver, 8 ports available)

I agree I am going to give this a rest and see what happens. Actually computer is working pretty good.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
I think this one might be your whole problem. The rest of your USB devices look the way they should look, but this "Standard" item, I believe, should not be there. When I get home from my trip I can check that out on my box and let you know for sure.

If you don't want to wait a day or two then I would say go into that link I gave last time, and follow the instructions for the "AFTER" method. After you have produced the necessary floppy, go through the update loop ONE time, and update the driver for this one device only.

Maybe for some reason the driver-update didn't "take" properly when you put it on before, maybe there was a problem with something plugged into a port or something. I don't think the "Standard" device should be there anymore, once the ICSIU has been applied. So you can either try to manually force it, or wait a day or two for me to return, and maybe force it then, or not.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for info. I'll wait until you get back. I'll be gone most of Thursday and out of town Friday - Sunday.

I turned off Voice POST it's a relief not to hear her complaining about "System failed due to CPU overclocking" every time I boot up :D Just get a beep and I'm in business now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
clintfan,

Another data point.

I searched around for some ways for testing USB ports and one article suggested using a mouse. I bought a Microsoft
Wheel Mouse Optical for the new computer. Tried it in all ports except the two that have a printer and scanner plugged in. Worked in every port. Interesting that printer doesn't. I am getting to the point that I am about ready to live with what I have, unless you come up with something. Hate to screw up something that is working pretty good.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What is it? Clicked on it and seemed to down load slow. Tried again and get this message.

Error: You already clicked on this link today!

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
What is it? Clicked on it and seemed to down load slow. Tried again...
That user's reply was the little picture of the panda bear face ...did you see it? Not very useful, which is why it's against the forum Community Guidelines danrak has reminded us all to re-read.

"click this" is his signature. PEOPLE, DON'T CLICK on stuff like this!!... who knows what it might do to your PC ! IMO it's equivalent to the risk from opening strange email attachments.

-clintfan

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
About your USB problem...
Intel(R) 82081EB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
Intel(R) 82081EB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
Intel(R) 82081EB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
Intel(R) 82081EB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller (has an XP driver)
USB Root Hub (XP driver, 8 ports available)
Yes Harry, it appears you do have a minor setup problem. Where yours still says "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB...", mine says

Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller

Other than that yours and mine are the same (except I have one fewer Controller+Hub pair because I set my BIOS for 6 USB ports, not 8). I have your same ICH5R chip and same O/S. So somehow this module of your ICH5R did not get set up properly.

My recommendation is you should go to ICH5, 875P, P4C800: Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility and fix this in this way... Find the "AFTER" method, and follow steps 1-13. When you get to step 14, select your problem "Standard" device. Then do steps 15-25 once (unless you see additional "Standard" devs floating around, you should not need to go through the loop again, meaning when you get to step 23 just continue to 24-25).

Let me know if this solves your printer problem. If not, at least you can rest assured they can't say your setup isn't proper.

-clintfan

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for info. Going out of town tomorrow. Will be Monday before I can get on this. Will take your write up to read while I am gone.
Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
clintfan,
Followed your procedure and updated drivers on all the USB controllers. LPC Interface Controller, PCI Bridge and SMBus Controller did not find new driver. Installation went smoothly. I would recommend that you add a step "0" to your procedure to set a System Restore Point before starting the update in case of disaster. That's what I did.

Performed a test of the problem USB ports with my printer with the same results as before. Printer works on one port of 7/8 and 5/6 pairs of USB ports.

I am ready to stop the worry and trouble shooting and just use the computer. I am confident that all the USB ports are connected correctly because the mouse worked on all.

Thanks much for your help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ASUS Board

Your problem sounds a little like mine. I had a computer built at a reliable store. I used the same ASUS board as you and had multiple problems with USB ports and a 6-1 card reader. The card reader failed to work but when they did get it to work, the USB ports would not. They replaced the board with the same one and came up with similar problems. The last try, two USB ports failed. The tech person gave up after a week and switched to an ABIT board. All the problems went away.

What I'm trying to say, is you may not be able to fix it.

Mick

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.