Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a relatively minor issue after installing acrobat reader 7.0.

After "upgrading" I had some weird problems especially when using a java application, like my video card utility would open then close immediately and now I cannot listen to streaming radio unless they station uses windows media player. The player opens but never connects to the stream.

Adobes critical update fixed the problem while using java and apparently most of the other little things but I still can't get the streaming audio, even after uninstalling acrobat reader altogether.

Any suggestions? I don't know if there are any other little problems waiting to crop up, but I wouldn't advise downloading acrobat 7.0 just yet.

Thanks,

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone?

·
Registered
380 Posts
now I cannot listen to streaming radio unless they station uses windows media player. The player opens but never connects to the stream.

A little confused. Can you listen to WMP streaming audio?

Sounds like you can listen to streaming audio only if it is compatable with WMP but if, for instance, it requires Real Player or WinAmp- you cannot play it?

Is that correct or have you lost the ability to listen to streaming audio all
together.

Andy

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
media player issues

ok, after more troubleshooting work today, wmp will not play .asf files. In wmp set up, asf files are selected as a supported format, i downloaded wmp media codec pack for wmp 9 but no help.
I can play other streaming media. i got with the stream provider to help troubleshooting, and he gave me the direct link for the radio, thats how i found out it was an asf file

also, as the streaming radio uses java, I uninstalled java and reinstalled it, also no help

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
resolved

It appears that the problem was updating java to the latest version not acrobat.
After I upgraded java wmp stopped recognizing asf files, the easiest way to fix it was to download wmp 10 (yuccch) which I had tried in the past but had the same results as this time, I couldn't play any streaming audio or video.

It may help others with wmp issues, or don't update java to version 5 update 4 until your ready to upgrade wmp as well.
I wish java or microsoft would have mentioned this, but both just wanted me to update the software.
Also, if you have xp microsoft no longer offers wmp 9 for a download.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.