Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The topic kinda says it all. I've purchased all parts needed to run my custom-made pc, and i'm having problems. If anybody knows the minimum power needed to run a pentium 4 2.4 gigahertz computer [+ a cd-rw drive + 5 80mm fans and a 64 MB GeForce4 MX420] I already have a 350 watt [watt or volt?] power supply.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Well, my P4-2.4g system with three hard disks, CD-RW, Zip drive, GeForce MX440 64mb is running with a 300w supply just fine, so I suspect that 350 should be sufficient.

It would help if you specified what problems you're having, since the P/S isn't the only component in the system. :)

·
hey
10,189 Posts
Intel says the minimum is a 250w power supply. That info can be found here

What exactly are the problems you are having?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem is solved then.

Thanks a ton for the link, danrak. It solves my problem.
Also, the reason i didn't post the problem is because this answer isolated the answer to my problem. In case you're wondering, I have all parts to my custom-made PC, and when I try to boot up, the front panel LED comes on [red] for like half of a second, as does the power supply fan [all of my 5 80 mm fans don't come on]. After that it just cuts power and dies. I have to unplug the power supply after shutting it off with the switch, and then replug it in and turn the switch back on + press the power button on the front panel to een get it to do any thing again [it does the same thing]. I've tested my vid card, processor, power supply, and havent had access to a comp compatible w/ my RAM [pc2700], but even if the ram were defective, it wouldn't cut power [i would know; I've tested that exact situation b4]. I know it's my motherboard now because that's the only part left. Either that, or I'm hooking it up wrong and it's grounding itself out [similar to when you ground yourself in order to discharge any static built up inside your body]. I'm 99.5% sure it's not the latter, because I've rebuilt it trying many different things and had no different results. And even if it WERE the latter, the power LED only turns red when there is defective hardware installed.
Thx a bunch, and wish me luck getting the motherboard replaced [I ordered it through outpost.com, so it should be no problem]

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Before you ship the MB back, I'd suggest powering it up out of the case. If you have shorted a supply voltage, what you describe is exactly what happens. Normally, a bad MB doesn't shutdown the P/S...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.