Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I'm current running Outlook 2002 for email, but am about to swap to a laptop with Outlook 2010 installed.

In order to transfer my emails across do I just need to copy over the .pst file to the new machine, then setup the email accounts, and finaly export and import the rules I have defined?

It seems straightforward, but the last time I transferred my outlook email from one pc to another (a few years ago) it all went wrong as follows...

I store copies of my emails on the POP3 server as well as in the .PST file, and they only get deleted from the POP3 when I delete them on my PC. When I transferred Outlook to a new machine previously it immediately downloaded duplicate copies of all my emails and so I ended up with two copies of everything on the pc. Outlook seemed to fall out of sync with the server, and loose track that the emails were already stored in the .PST file.

Can someone suggest how I can avoid this problem when I setup Outlook 2010? Are there perhaps some Outlook configuration files, other than the .PST, that I need to copy over?

·
Team Manager - Networking
8,370 Posts
It will do that again
When you have POP setup - it only synchronises in one direction to the PC (except for the deleted) and so when you move the mail into a new folder , the server does not know that and just keeps it in the server inbox
When you setup the new outlook it will re-download them again into the inbox

I usually setup imap , so that the server is synchronised - but you are relying on your email provider to have the copy - so no backup

There is a duplicate add-in - but its been a long while since I have used it
I'll see what I can find
Edit - not found in my bookmarks yet
As i mentioned I used this add-in on a few friends outlook, one had 25,000 emails re-download and the other 12,000
When they moved PCs

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,042 Posts
In order to transfer my emails across do I just need to copy over the .pst file to the new machine, then setup the email accounts, and finaly export and import the rules I have defined?
You'll be better off backing up your existing e-mail then creating a whole new profile and PST data file in the new version of Outlook. Outlook 2002 PST files are limited to 2GB in size. Outlook 2010 supports 20GB PST files.

If all your POP mail is still on the server, why not just let it download? The other option I've used is to put the old Inbox into another folder within Outlook, so it doesn't get combined into one Inbox with duplicates.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.