Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to repair XP (won't boot) but I want to save a folder I have in My Documents by moving it from My Documents to C:. I've booted up from SystemRescueCD which is a linux OS that runs off a CD - as far as I can tell the program that does what I want that's on the disc is Midnight Commander. It's pointing at the CD though and I can't figure out how to point it at the C: drive so I can edit files. Could someone help, if at all possible step-by-step instructions as I've got no idea what I'm doing here:p. All I want to do is basically copy & paste the entire folder out of My Documents.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Boot from the SystemRescueCD and open the terminal. Then run the following command and paste the output here:
Code:
[color=red]sudo fdisk -l[/color]   <--- that's a lowercase L
You'll need to mount the C drive first before you can access it. The above command will show your current disk/partition scheme which will help.

MC shouldn't be required either. Once you mount the XP partition you can move into the documents directory and copy the folder over. We can get to that after you mount the partition.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Managed to get it sorted, thanks. Repaired XP but it still won't boot. Ran the following commands in the recovery console:

FIXMBR C:
FIXBOOT C:
COPY CDDrive:\I386\NTLDR C:\
COPY CDDrive:\I386|NTDETECT.COM C:\
BOOTCFG /rebuild

But still nothing. Anything left to try? The repair didn't work because it has to boot to finish repairing and I'm repairing it because it won't boot, going in circles! Probably just going to buy a new HD tomorrow and set this one up as a slave if I can't fix it, no matter what I do it seems fried. It reaches the XP loading screen then the mouse pointer appears for a second before it restarts.

Btw I know this isn't about Linux any more, sorry for posting in the wrong section.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I wouldn't consider it fried just yet but, I honestly don't know what to suggest. I haven't used Windows in a while.

Perhaps this thread can be moved to the XP forum or you might want to start a new post over there.

Sorry for the lack of help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.