Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

I would like to know where I stand with the following.

My friends computer has just died on him, So he bought it round for me to look at.
The OS was damanged so I told him the best thing to do is to wipe the system clean, and start over again.

I told him to go and get all his drivers, Licensing Info, ect.

He comes back with his windows XP Home SP2 cd, Drivers, ect.
But he stuck his COA code onto the little xp booklet and not his computer.

So I would like to know two things.

(1) Can I install windows xp using my COA code, and then somehow remove the COA from the system, so that he has to enter his COA, and details.

(2) If not, how can he get a new COA, or does he have to go out and buy all the MS XP stuff again?

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mad Professor said:
Hi All.

I would like to know where I stand with the following.

My friends computer has just died on him, So he bought it round for me to look at.
The OS was damanged so I told him the best thing to do is to wipe the system clean, and start over again.

I told him to go and get all his drivers, Licensing Info, ect.

He comes back with his windows XP Home SP2 cd, Drivers, ect.
But he stuck his COA code onto the little xp booklet and not his computer.

So I would like to know two things.

(1) Can I install windows xp using my COA code, and then somehow remove the COA from the system, so that he has to enter his COA, and details.

(2) If not, how can he get a new COA, or does he have to go out and buy all the MS XP stuff again?

Thanks for your time.
Just use the code that he has put stuck onto the book chances are all hes done is stuck it on there instead of the machine

:grin:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
For the mean time, yes, you can enter in your code and he can change it, so long as your code is also for XP Pro and is the same type. (OEM or Retail)

You can enter in your code during install, but do not activate Windows. When there is one day left, or sooner, run the activation wizard and choose the telephone option. There is a place to change product code, which is where he will enter in his legal code.

BMR777

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could do that, But I don't want to give him back his computer with my COA details on it.

Is there anyway I can install using my COA but then remove the COA details, so that when I give him back his computer he will need to enter his COA details.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
If you can still boot into safe mode. You could run Jellybean key finder and get his key.
I, myself, would not use my COA key on anyone elses computer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
His system killed over. Could not access normal or safe mode, also the repair did not work, So I did a full wipe of his hdd.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I wouldn't do it. Friend or no friend. Make him show some responsibility and have him find the COA or buy a new one. Just think of the money he is saving by having you fix the problem to begin with.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
BMR777 said:
For the mean time, yes, you can enter in your code and he can change it, so long as your code is also for XP Pro and is the same type. (OEM or Retail)

You can enter in your code during install, but do not activate Windows. When there is one day left, or sooner, run the activation wizard and choose the telephone option. There is a place to change product code, which is where he will enter in his legal code.

BMR777
No, you cannot use another code - especially one already in use. This violates the MS license agreement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.