Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since i installed this mouse, the computer will not reboot. if i boot the pc and then plug it in everything works fine, but its a pain to do that every time. any reason why this could be happening?

Win2000 professional, no spyware, running fine otherwise...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its plugged in right, im using it now. its just that the computer freezes on the first screen every time i restart with it plugged in. still no ideas?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I take it, it's a USB mouse. Have you tried using another USB port? When does it freeze, which first screen are you talking about?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it is a USB mouse, sorry i didnt say that earlier. i was in a bit of a rush. i have 4 USB ports, all do the same thing.

the computer just dosent move beyond the blue "HP" screen, which at least on my PC is the only screen before the loading windows 2000 black screen where u would usually push F8. so i know its not a problem with windows. it must just be a problem with HP pc and Microsoft mouse or something. but then why will it work after windows is started?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright, ill try that tomorrow morning. its simple enough, but im tured and lazy. and i dot want to have to reach behind to unplug it if it dosent work. ill let you know how it goes...

thanks for the help!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No dice. its not working. completely frozen. it wont respond to anything. heres another thing. i cant plug the mouse in untill windows is starting to load. i tried to plug it in after the HP screen, but before the windows graphic screen, and it still froze.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
greetings

tap f8 on the first boot, as soon as you turn it on start tapping f8

see if you can get to safe mode to do some checks

see if the device manager has any yellow conflict marks

what spy/virus protection is on the computer? norton?

otherwise, unplug the box take the side off, and pop out the battery for 30 minutes to reset the cmos.

post back

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im running PC cillin, and i have all of the ad aware/spybot and i keep my windows updated. the computer freezes immediatly and dosent give me time to push F8. ive never reset what your talking about though, so could you explain the battery thing a bit more?

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
starting to look like a power supply problem...but im not sure

there is a button type battery in the mother board. you would want to unplug the machine first. take the side panel off, locate the battery, [watch type] and pop it out for about thirty minutes, then of course put it back in. while the side is off check that the inside is clean, free of dust and hair.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i will try that, but the computer does load fine without the mouse plugged in. although it takes about twice as long to load now, it still runs. once in windows i see no problem. just startup taking like 5 mins. and just now, for the first time, it froze out of standby. it always worked out of standby, but it just froze now. im worried, because startup is getting slower, and i believe it is all because of the mouse. i dont know how its possible, but untill i installed it i have never had any problems at all.

·
Registered
36 Posts
did you try another mouse on the usb port you should see if that will work also boot into winodws and install any drivers that came with the mouse or go to the microsoft site and download the intellipoint software install it then re boot see if that fixes it

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if i had another mouse to use, i wouldnt be sitting here trying to make this one work. i would just go buy another, but this seems to be more than just a mouse issue now, how i dont know how or why, but even with the mouse gone, the pc still runs slower than it did before i installed it. and the mouse was a plug in play. no drivers were manually installed, it just detected itself, and took a second to load the first time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
try this

It sounds like you may have spyware, do a complete scan of your computer, both virus and spyware. After that go to the microsoft site and download the intellipoint software ( intellipoint 5.2 ) also check your bios for boot settings maybe you have ps2 mouse checked when your using a usb mouse.

also you said you are running trend micro pc cillin. I have it too, By any chance do you ever get a message saying somthing like: " unable to update the network virus pattern for the personal firewall please contact trend micro support" ? If you do then go to the trend site and to a scan of your pc for there you may have a network virus that the PC-cillin isn't aware of try that see if it boots faster.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.