Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Microsoft Office - "The operating system is not presently configured to run this app"

17K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  Corday 
#1 ·
Microsoft Office - "The operating system is not presently configured to run this app"

Having issues opening any microsoft office files on my computer (.docx, .pptx, .xlsx, etc). I can still create new files without any issues, but as soon as I try to open a downloaded document, I get the following errors:

Once I click OK:

I've tried uninstalling office with Revo Uninstaller to remove all remnants such as registry data and leftover folders, with no luck.

Note that if I open the document(s) with an alternate means (such as wordpad for .docx files, or even google spreadsheets for excel files) they work fine, so I doubt the files are corrupting when I download them.

Any ideas?

See less See more
#5 ·
Re: Microsoft Office - "The operating system is not presently configured to run this

Uninstall Microsoft Office with Revo, doing the Advanced method which deletes all Registry entries, restart the computer.
Browse to C:\Program Files\, and C:\Program Files x86, if there is a Microsoft Office folder, in either, delete it.
Browse to C:\Program Files\Common Files, if there is an Office folder here, Delete it.
Make sure Hidden Files is viewable, browse to C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Local\Microsoft delete the Office folder here.
Then C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft delete the Office folder here. Empty the Recycle Bin, restart the computer.
Now Enable the Hidden Builtin Administrator account. Log out as You, login as Builtin Admin. Try a different Office disc, Now try to install Office again. After it installs, log out as Built in Admin, login as you, disable Hidden Admin.

#7 ·
Re: Microsoft Office - "The operating system is not presently configured to run this

Try a different Office disc
Did you try a different Office disc? Did you try this disc on another computer to test?
Have you done all Windows Updates? including the Optional ones? You need .Net Framework 4.3 as well as older versions to install Office.

#11 ·

Please don't take this as doubting your knowledge. Are the documents you're downloading in something other than standard Word formats?

#13 ·

Please don't take this as doubting your knowledge. Are the documents you're downloading in something other than standard Word formats?
All good, no offence taken. I'd rather cover all bases and get to the bottom of the issue than attempt to keep everyone's ego intact and potentially go nowhere :)

I am indeed trying to open files with .doc (and .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .ppt, .pptx, etc) file extensions.

Completely uninstall Office with the MS Easy Fix Tool.
Restart and do a search for any Microsoft Office programs or files, delete any leftovers. If you have a Microsoft Account/Email address, and ANY Office Product key, download Office 2016 here: https://products.office.com/en-us/get-office-oem-download-page
Thanks for another method. I'll put it to the test in the coming days.

#12 ·
#16 ·

Go into Excel>File>Options>Trust Center>Trust Center Settings>Protected View and uncheck all options. Now go back into Word and see what happens.

#17 · (Edited)

Go into Excel>File>Options>Trust Center>Trust Center Settings>Protected View and uncheck all options. Now go back into Word and see what happens.
Well it doesnt work for word if I do it in Excel, but if I do the same thing in Word it works!

Can we edit the OP to include the solution for visibility? Seems it's been too long since I made the post to edit it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.