Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My computer's gone wacky. Here are some screens:

As you can see, the right click menus and other menus appear clear. This also happens with all of my other Microsoft Office programs. Clicking in the clear area does nothing. This is also the case with my start menu. Once I go into the programs menu, it's like that.

I've reinstalled Microsoft Office, used the repairing option, ran my anti-virus softwares, deleted all harmful programs, restarted my computer, etc. I'm thinking it's a problem with my computer and not just the Microsoft programs since the situation occurs on the start menu and some other spots as well.

Help please? I've got some work to do except the clear menus make it impossible.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Try renaming the Normal.dot file, follow these steps:

1. Quit all instances of Word, including WordMail.
2. On the Windows taskbar, click Start, point to Find, and click Files or Folders.
3. In the Named box, type Normal.dot.
4. In the Look In box, select your local hard disk drive (or an alternate user template location if you are running Word from a network server).
5. Click Find Now to search for the file.
6. For each occurrence of Normal.dot that appears in the Find dialog box, right-click the file. Click Rename on the shortcut menu. Give the file a new name, such as OldNormal.dot or Normal-1.dot.
7. Minimize the find dialog box.
8. Restart your automation client to start Word.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q247028/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hm...thanks but I changed all Normal.dot files to new names but the problem wasn't fixed.

·
15,478 Posts
Open Microsoft Word, click Help, then click Detect and Repair. Have your software cd(s) handy

·
15,478 Posts
You may be able to place the installation cd in the drive and execute it as you were installing it, there may be a Repair option on there to choose

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, tried that as well. Well thanks for the help but I don't know if this'll ever be fixed properly.

One question, if I were to 'Uninstall' (not Reinstall) then go through the installation process again, would it use up my CD (since it can be put on only up to 3 computers I'm wondering if it would recognize my computer and not be "used up")?

·
15,478 Posts
They gave you license keys did they not? If so you can install again using the same key as used before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.