Tech Support banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday during routine updates, there was an update for Microsoft Edge and after restart (as was needed) its icon popped up on desktop. It asks "would you like to set Microsoft Edge as your default browser?" I haven't done that because some previews I read don't sound too good ... that it's a bit 'pushy' and installation often disregards previous default browser preferences of users. Sometimes also causes computers to slow down. I'm sure Google Chrome I'm using now is better and I'm in no hurry to use ME. Should I just ignore the ME icon on desktop? Please advise.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay Stancestans ... it's now in recycle bin. Should I let it be there? However, the icon on the taskbar still appears.

Secondly, I'm not familiar with accessing taskbar icons on this laptop. It says 'sign in to One Drive' and then 'create account' mentioning email address.

Thirdly, if I delete ME icon from recycle bin and taskbar, how do I access it in future if I decide to do so?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much Stancestans. I did that. And yes, can still access it from Windows Search box in taskbar.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,554 Posts
This Microsoft Edge is a redesigned browser and is very similar to Chrome as it is based on the open source version of Chrome called Chromium. No reason not to use it or delete the icon as you never know when your Chrome may become corrupted and having an easy to use second browser could come in handy and over time I am sure there will be developments in its performance that might well be to your advantage.

Reactions: Songbird_2016

·
Windows Tech Team
1,012 Posts
This Microsoft Edge is a redesigned browser and is very similar to Chrome as it is based on the open source version of Chrome called Chromium.
Yep. I've actually scaled back my use of the Google Chrome browser just because of the amount of data mining Google is (in)famous for.

I've been (and still am) using the Edge Dev builds since they first became available and the new Chromium-based Edge has been pretty much rock stable from the get-go.

I have no idea how much data mining Microsoft may or may not be doing via new Edge, but as far as usability if you're a long time Chrome user it will feel instantly familiar, as will Brave or any one of a number of other Chromium-based web browsers.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This Microsoft Edge is a redesigned browser and is very similar to Chrome as it is based on the open source version of Chrome called Chromium. No reason not to use it or delete the icon as you never know when your Chrome may become corrupted and having an easy to use second browser could come in handy and over time I am sure there will be developments in its performance that might well be to your advantage.
Yes, that's why I do still have it as backup .... so I asked Stancestans how I can access it in future in case I need it. It's still there. So if at any time I start using it making it my default browser, the icon will be back I suppose ....

·
Windows Tech Team
1,012 Posts
So if at any time I start using it making it my default browser, the icon will be back I suppose ....
Making it your default browser, and bringing back either a desktop shortcut icon or a Quick Launch icon, are completely separate from one another.

Adding Desktop Shortcuts Under Windows 10

After you have a desktop shortcut, you can drag and drop into the Quick Launch area and either keep or delete the desktop shortcut.

·
Windows Tech Team
1,012 Posts
However, the reviews of ME are less than encouraging.
In what way?

I have yet to meet anyone who's an enthusiastic Chrome user who isn't instantly comfortable with the new Chromium-based Edge.

It's been perfectly fine for me, and for many months, as I have been on the Dev builds long before the stable build finally became available for installation. My machine has now been updated to that stable build, and old Edge removed from any direct user access, by Windows Update, but I'm still using the Dev build just to see "what's coming next" and because it's been so stable to begin with.

·
14,554 Posts
Btw, has Mozilla improved compared to a few years earlier?
I think so though not Firefox IMHO. I use Waterfox because I need Java for one site very badly and don't want to worry about Adobe Flash Player being eliminated either. I also have clients who have to use Firefox for gaming sites as Chrome no longer works on them as Flash replacement is a joke on about 1/2 the sites.

Reactions: Songbird_2016

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think so though not Firefox IMHO. I use Waterfox because I need Java for one site very badly and don't want to worry about Adobe Flash Player being eliminated either. I also have clients who have to use Firefox for gaming sites as Chrome no longer works on them as Flash replacement is a joke on about 1/2 the sites.
I've never heard of Waterfox. Is that also a browser?

I was referring to Mozilla Firefox.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
In what way?

I have yet to meet anyone who's an enthusiastic Chrome user who isn't instantly comfortable with the new Chromium-based Edge.

It's been perfectly fine for me, and for many months, as I have been on the Dev builds long before the stable build finally became available for installation. My machine has now been updated to that stable build, and old Edge removed from any direct user access, by Windows Update, but I'm still using the Dev build just to see "what's coming next" and because it's been so stable to begin with.
I've read ME makes it hard for any other browser to run, like takes over everything. Also sometimes slows the computer.

Something else I've observed, ever since the update of ME, when I'm closing Chrome window, the top portion of the default blue background on desktop shows a light blue flash for a second ... before closing. It isn't bothering me (not until now), but it's something that didn't happen before.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Making it your default browser, and bringing back either a desktop shortcut icon or a Quick Launch icon, are completely separate from one another.

Adding Desktop Shortcuts Under Windows 10

After you have a desktop shortcut, you can drag and drop into the Quick Launch area and either keep or delete the desktop shortcut.

Just the desktop shortcut would be okay as I'm more familiar with it.

·
14,554 Posts
I've never heard of Waterfox. Is that also a browser?

I was referring to Mozilla Firefox.
Waterfox is another Mozilla Browser. There is also Pale Moon, Sea Monkey and I think there are a few more.

·
Windows Tech Team
1,012 Posts
I've read ME makes it hard for any other browser to run, like takes over everything. Also sometimes slows the computer.
Not that I've ever noticed. I routinely have Firefox, Chrome, Edge Dev, and Brave running simultaneously with many tabs open in each.

It doesn't make the slightest bit of difference on my machine if one or more of those four is, or is not, in the mix at any given moment in time.

I would have been far more inclined to believe this of original Edge, as the EdgeHTML rendering engine is used extensively by Windows 10 itself. Original Edge is not actually gone-gone after the new stable Chromium-based Edge installs, but it's made inaccessible to the end user. Windows 10 still uses the EdgeHTML rendering engine "under the hood" and unless that gets phased out big, honkin' chunks of what had been the original Edge browser will remain a part of Windows 10.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would have been far more inclined to believe this of original Edge, as the EdgeHTML rendering engine is used extensively by Windows 10 itself. Original Edge is not actually gone-gone after the new stable Chromium-based Edge installs, but it's made inaccessible to the end user. Windows 10 still uses the EdgeHTML rendering engine "under the hood" and unless that gets phased out big, honkin' chunks of what had been the original Edge browser will remain a part of Windows 10.
OK. So how do I know this isn't the original Edge .. or are Edge and Microsoft Edge two differing versions?

Secondly, if I want to have it as a backup browser, do I have to activate it or any such procedures required .... or do I simply start using it from the ME window?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts