Tech Support banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a headset that has a plug in for a mic. Discord reads my mic no problem but I dont hear my PC through my headphones. My PCs sound is being played through my external speakers. Is there a way I can have both the mic & PC sound through my headphones ? I tried that "Listen to this device" setting & all I hear is a loud annoying sound

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Go to Settings/System/Sound under Output, take the drop down arrow and select your Headphones instead of Speakers
Headphones dont show up in output when Microphone does in input

When I have my Headphones / Mic plugged into the Mic port thingy Discord reads my Mic but not headphones. When I have my headphones plugged in in the audio area Discord reads my headphones & not my mic

·
Registered
40,892 Posts
Are the Headphones USB? or are they Mini Audio Jacks? What is the Make and Model# of the headphones?
With the Headphones plugged into the computer, Press the Windows key +X and choose Device Manager. Are there any devices with Yellow Flags next to them? If the headphones are USB, is there a yellow flag under Universal Serial Bus Controllers? How about under Sound, video, and game controllers? If either, you need to download drivers from the headset manufacturers web site
Have you tried the headphones on another computer?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Headphones have 3.55 wire & things work fine on my Windows 10 Laptop but not my Windows 10 PC

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you go to Device Manager? Are you plugging the headphones in the Back Audio inputs and not the ones on the front? (ie) Green plug goes in Speaker out, Red goes to Mic in?
Tried every single audio thing & nadda & Device Manager is fine

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a headset that has a plug in for a mic. Discord reads my mic no problem but I dont hear my PC through my headphones. My PCs sound is being played through my external speakers. Is there a way I can have both the mic & PC sound through my headphones ? I tried that "Listen to this device" setting & all I hear is a loud annoying sound
You mention in your initial request that you had a HEADSET. That usually means that you have on the plug end - 4 bands on the end of the wire. LEFT and RIGHT headphone and Mic input, plus the fourth band is common ground. Most recent models of laptops have a combo jack that accept this type of HEADSET or HEADPHONES. On the back of the PC, you would have separate jacks for audio OUT (some shade of green) and mic IN (a shade of pink). If the headset has the four band plug, you will need an adapter cable that will split out the headphone and microphone plugs. This adapter will have a jack that will accept the 4 band plug on one end and two separate cables with a green plug for the audio output to the headphones and pink for the mic input.
Most PCs that I have worked on only have a headphones jack on the front and not a HEADSET jack. One way to tell – when you plug in the headset, does it seat all the way into the jack!

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you have one plug on your headphone, to use on a PC that has a mic/line port and audio out port you need a adapter that will split into cables to plug into the PC. NOTE: single plugs on headphones/headsets comes in two different wiring. CTIA and OMTP. CTIA wiring has BAND 1 (closest to installation) = Microphone, BAND 2 = Ground, BAND 3 = Right audio channel, BAND 4 (point of plug) = Left audio channel . OMPT wiring has BAND 1 (closest to installation) = Ground, BAND 2 = Microphone, BAND 3 = Right audio channel, BAND 4 = Left audio channel.
Adapters also come in CTIA & OMTP wiring.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You mention in your initial request that you had a HEADSET. That usually means that you have on the plug end - 4 bands on the end of the wire. LEFT and RIGHT headphone and Mic input, plus the fourth band is common ground. Most recent models of laptops have a combo jack that accept this type of HEADSET or HEADPHONES. On the back of the PC, you would have separate jacks for audio OUT (some shade of green) and mic IN (a shade of pink). If the headset has the four band plug, you will need an adapter cable that will split out the headphone and microphone plugs. This adapter will have a jack that will accept the 4 band plug on one end and two separate cables with a green plug for the audio output to the headphones and pink for the mic input.
Most PCs that I have worked on only have a headphones jack on the front and not a HEADSET jack. One way to tell – when you plug in the headset, does it seat all the way into the jack!
the PC's front jack is an AUDIO OUT port, in which you can plug in speakers, headphones/headsets, earphones, any audio in device.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts