Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Plantronics .Audio 70 analog headset, and I'm getting a low buzzing feedback with my microphone that drowns me out in online chat. It was working fine up until a few days ago, I'm not sure what's wrong with it. It may have something to do with the headset itself, because when I touch the mic the feedback crackles and gets louder. Any suggestions?

P

·
0 Posts
Hello,

Go to your sound set up or volume controls and check the mute box on the left buttom side of mic volume.

Regards.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That gets rid of the feedback when I use my speakers, but it's still there with my headset. Also, even when I do get rid of it I'm getting some static and my voice is VERY quiet, even though none of my microphone settings are turned down.

·
Registered
906 Posts
It may be a bad connection or partially broken wire. Audio devices will crackle if they do not have a solid connection to both source and ground.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Is it plugged in all the way? Also, is the wire near any electromagnetic devices? I got tons of buzzing when the cable that goes from the CD-Rom drive to the sound card hung near a case fan.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
It's possible, but you'd likely hear the buzzing all of the time- not just using the microphone. If you turn your volume up a lot with no sounds playing (with the microphone muted), is there a noticeable hum? Not just a little fuzz, because there will always be a bit of that no matter what you do...

If there's a noticeable hum, try this- stop or slow down the fan with your hand (be careful of the blades, they shouldn't hurt your fingers, but press down on the middle anyway). Does the buzz go away? If so, then you've found the most likely cause of your problem. If not, then you can rule the fan out as the source- it'll probably be the headset itself, as you'd mentioned in your first post.

Just a side note, if this fan is your CPU fan, make sure it starts up again afterwards or you might be looking at a worse problem than you started off with. If it's stopped, and doesn't start again on its own, give it a little spin- either direction should work, and it'll kick into motion. In fact, when I stop mine, it'll kickstart itself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
No, the buzzing is definitely coming from the microphone, because it goes away when I mute microphone output. It's probably a loose wire or something inside the mic, because it was working fine a couple weeks ago.

I don't think it's background noise, it sounds more like electronic feedback.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
That's a shame... I guess if you are good with a soldering iron you could rewire the set, but it might not be worth your time if this headset wasn't too expensive.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
I'd bet it's still under warranty- depending on where you bought it, you might be able to just return it.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Bad ground it sounds like. If I were more handy with the soldering iron then I'd tackle it myself. Otherwise swap it out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got it from circuit city, and they require the original receipt for a return... which I didn't keep.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
It's likely you'll still be able to do an exchange, or even get store credit for it. I would ask them and see- most retailers will do exchanges without a receipt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.