Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep getting e mails porpoting to be from Microsft enclosing a file with an update. the file comes as different names and is an *******.exe file allways 106kb in size. Also I am getting mail returned messages with the same attachments. I have not opened any of them but have deleted them, am I right to be suspicious??
Don

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
That's yet another virus that's making the rounds. Just remember one fact, Microsoft NEVER emails patches for any reason. You can find that statement on their website. I would never install an update or a patch that is emailed unsolicited by you, since it's almost sure to be bogus.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
heh

two days ago i heard on the news that a new virus had been uncovered, and it seems to be the one you are mentioning.

it is true that MS never E-mails updates.

it is also true that you should be suspicious.

if you want to scan your machine, and dont want to pay for a scanner, go to www.trendmicro.com and use the online version of PC-Cillin or otherwise known as HouseCall.

they also list this as one of the newest viruses.

on the other hand, it isnt nasty by comparison. all the sites i have seen discussing it list is as a "low threat" and "low risk"

this is one of those stupid viruses that mail itself to everyone on your address list.

maybe on of your friends has it on their machine, and doesnt know what it is doing.

that's also why i dont use outlook express, or anything resembling it. i have found if i dont store anyone's email address on my machine, viruses cant send them mail.

it also isnt destructive to hardware, so in my case, i dont care if it hits me.

in fact, i hope it does come my way, i am trying to build an archive of viruses, and i wouldnt mind having an address list worm in there.

~BoB~

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Thanks for the info, I havn't opened any and have deleted all e mails. It's sneaky though. Aint it?
Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.