Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on Win2Kpro and over the past few months I have been getting loads of Messenger Service popups where as I never used to before.

Ironically, most come from www.endads.com who sell s/w to prevent these popups (good scam!).

Has anybody any tips or tricks to stop these popups without having to pay the perpetrators?

Gaz!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like adware

There are some programs available to help clear adware from your computer, if that is what this is. My guess is, if it happens consistantly, some program decided to install itself on your computer to assist you in making product buying decisions...

The easiest way to fix this problem is to go to download.com and look for a program that can scan your computer and disable these. I suggest Spy Sweeper or Ad-Aware

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Arlon

Thanks for your advise Arlon.. I'll check out those sites... hope all's well with you in Oregon.. Gaz

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ive looked a little into this (I'm a IT person). We have this occuring on a single app server on our network but only when we have our firewall open for tech. support. These messages seem to come exclusively from the messenger service which has to be present for the OS to work properly. I was told by some friends that this is happening because the ad company has the IP address and uses this to push the message to you.
I'm leary to try this on a production server (Its more a annoyance) but if this is a personal machine i'd try a firewall program and see if you can stop the traffic from coming inbound.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
49 Posts
BLEH!

If this is spyware, my best suggestiong is Spybot - a very effective application. Google Search: Spybot

If this is an instance which Drmwalkr has suggested, it is very interesting and keen of the sender. If you do indeed need the messenger service, you certainly can disable it. This feature mainly orchistrates network messaging traffic over a lan. Applications use this feature in notification for example to report to you that you have a virus.

If you want to experiment, you can right click on My Computer and select 'Manage'. Then go to Services and Applications / Services... Next scroll to look for "Messenger". You can click for properties and stop this service. You can also set this service as a manual startup.

My suggestion with firewalls is that if you know exactly what your doing then good luck. I find that users who attempt in using a firewall block a lot more than they intend to and it causes them more problems than they had before because of this.

Hope this helps you out.

·
Global Moderator
51,325 Posts
IMO, a firewall is the only sane way to block messenger popups! Since you're getting them, you've obviously unprotected from such nasties as the Blaster worm, which is stopped cold by almost any firewall. To start, you can just configure the firewall to block any incoming requests, that solves 95% of the issues you install a firewall for, and won't require any heavy thinking on your part. :)

As far as firewalls blocking more than you intend, running without a firewall blocks a lot less than you intend! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Kudos

Everyone has a sole right to their opinion, and yours may very well be legitimate. I administer 800+ users out of 11 offices. 98% of these users are computer illiterate. So maybe I should have rephrased my opinion. When a user impliments a firewall, they (the user) tend to block more than they intend.

If it is a local computer not connected to a high-end LAN, then the affects are less vivid. The neccessity for continuous traffic is eliminated. Yet, a user will usually get a firewall to block themselves from harmful situations, but can arbitrarily block other things with the unsustained knowledge of how to manage rules.

I am not sure what your occupation is Johnwill, but I have worked with computers for over 8 years, and been in this business for 3. One thing I have learned is that its not what I beleive is simple or easy for me to overcome, but how the user thinks. Many people with firewalls call me with issues which are being created... by their firewalls.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
well

not that he needs me to stand up for him, but johnwill is usually dead on.

as far as you maintaining 800+ machines.....

then in situations like that, it is your job to install firewalls, and set them up correctly so that your machines dont get infected...

as far as the average home user, they would be idiots if they didnt install some sort of wall these days.

i am sitting behind 2 walls myself...

and i wont turn either of them off, except to play mech3, lol
(after which i run a good scan session)

i havent noticed much blockage, other than what i did intend...

and while im not computer illiterate, i am very close, as most of us really are, even if we think we arent...

i have found that anyone who knows anything about pc's has only learned what they know by ignoring other things.

no-one knows all...

No-One.

~BoB~

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sniff

In our network environment, if we had a firewall on our machines, we wouldn't have a very happy company. We have two machines which sit in a different location than our Network facility, and our ISP handles all of our firewall situations with the help of a private independant contractor out of Kansas City. We DO use a firewall, and our machines sit behind it, but what everyone seems to be missing is what I am saying. Everyone looks at the situation how THEY see it and not that of the user. A firewall isn't something which is just placed on a computer and it works as you like it to. It doesnt just sit there and filter the unwanted traffic. You have to tell it what to allow and block, and a user who is not familiar with a firewall will end up blocking more than they intend. Your turning a help session into a debate, but no one is going to win this fussy battle because we are both right. Firewalls help, and do harm

http://comment.cio.com/soundoff/121202.html

·
Global Moderator
51,325 Posts
Re: Sniff

effex said:
I only have knowledge for 10% of everything there is to know.
I think this says most of what has to be said. :rolleyes:

You are trying to equate a single situation where you have a corporate LAN with no doubt several levels of protection to the typical home LAN. If your corporate LAN has no firewall between you and the Internet, then you are indeed a busy boy, and for no good reason.

We have two machines which sit in a different location than our Network facility, and our ISP handles all of our firewall situations with the help of a private independant contractor out of Kansas City. We DO use a firewall, and our machines sit behind it, but what everyone seems to be missing is what I am saying.
I don't think anyone is missing what you're trying to say, you're just wrong in this context! The plain fact of the matter is, the typical home user is responsible for his security, and a firewall is a necessity if he's going to be connected to the Internet. I would think the widespread infection by this most recent worm would have convinced most folks of that fact. I suspect you feel the firewall is so horribly complex because you don't actually administer it, but it's not that bad. For most home users, blocking all incoming requests will stop 95% of the threats faced, especially if they also have updated virus scanning installed. Installing something like ZoneAlarm to block only incoming requests is a 5 minute exercise, not complicated at all.

As far as my qualifications, I've worked with computer systems all my life, from IBM mainframes to microprocessor based products. I hold patents for microprocessor based avionics designs, and I've been using personal computers long before IBM decided to get into the PC business. I've designed products from air data computers to semiconductor fabrication equipment. The Phila Stock Exchange has my networked video controllers on all of the trading floors, not to mention a number of Wall Street firms in NYC. I hope you won't mind that I'm not impressed that you've actually worked in the field for a whole three years.

I don't really think you want to get into a pissing contest about qualifications or expertise. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
49 Posts
!

Yet again you are assuming that I am doubting the ability and importance of a firewall. And I did rephrase on what I was saying and implimented the User under the helm of the firewall. I use a firewall at home, not a second grade software based one, but I do use one. And yes I agree it would have helped a great deal in the defense against MSBlaster. Our firewall blocked the worm for 100% of our machines. It was very effective and helpful. But what it seems is you are still overlooking what I am saying. A typical user does not have the common knowledge to have a stable construction of rules where they are blocking only what they intend to block. It will help them a great deal, but will also hurt them.

Oh and Johnwill, your right, you know all might master of the computer gods!

Since technology changes every minute I do beleive that I only know 10% of everything there is to know.

I am not trying to help you grow your ego, I am trying to share my opinions with others searching for help. No need for me to get into a fussy match with you because yes you sound more qualified, but probably also double my age.

Thanks.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
wow

originally posted by effex: "Oh and Johnwill, your right, you know all might master of the computer gods!"

i dont see where anyone tried to claim they know all, but honestly, do you really expect us to all bow down to your mere 40 post, and your three years in the industry?

i have read these forums for a year now, and i have to say, i would tent to pay more heed to someone who knows what they are talking about...

i myself have been using these stupid machines since i was able to talk (and let me tell you, they didnt do anything fun back then)

and i know alot of people who are really really pc stupid, and none of them are too stupid to get a dammed firewall working.

it seems to me (and remember i cant even pass the f***ing ged test) that you are in a job position where you have begun to detest the typical user, and i can honestly see why, as i am starting to feel the same when my friends beg me to fix what i tried to help them avoid.

but i will say this:
the average home user is facing an internet full of bad crap, and it can cause serious damage. (some of it)

the most a user can do with a firewall, is cut themselves off of the internet, avoiding the entire problem.

(Oh No! Not That!)

and most firewalls are easier to use than a cd burner.

and sheesh man, stop the dammed name calling or we will all start to hate you.

little punks like that don't deserve much respect, and they dont get much either...

and to make it well known, i argued with johnwill when i first got here, but i didnt sling names around like a dumbass.

and to clarify, i dont think that you would know even 10% of what there is to know about computers, as the largest archive of computer technology has over 250,000,000,000 pages of crap, and thats not even 10%

so if youre lucky, you might know an entire 1% of it, i will openly admit i dont even know that much...

~BoB~

oh, i edited this because i guess you have to spell damm with two mm's instead of mn or it'll consider it a bad word.

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
If you are not getting POP-UPs through the MS messenger similiar to ICQ, you can go to the services in your Win2k machine or WinXP machine, and simply change the startup of the messenger service to "disabled" You will not get the nice little popup adds from the messenger service. If it is the MS Messenger, then oh well.

Unless you are using the MESSENGER SERVICE for internal reasons, then simply stopping the service will keep those annoying adds away. I suggest for home users a router, and dialup to enable the firewall that came with xp or purchasing a inexpensive firewall software for others.

Corporate lans should use a firewall (hardware appliance.) then any popups generated would be from internal unless the admin (whoops) left that port open.

·
Registered
49 Posts
fussy pants

bobby don't get all hyperactive! I am not asking anyone to bow down, because I could care less what you think. When I joined I had the idea of helping those who needed it and learning while I did it. I didn't know that I was getting myself into a debate over something I personally beleive. I know I dont explain things in a clear or vivid fashion and can throw the subject off, so I tried rephrasing. I just seem to be continuously attacked over a simple opinion, in hope to help someone who seems to have completely evaded this thread because we are no longer on the subject which they implied. You are right on the button, I have no idea what I am talking about, I am rubbish... I couldn't show you how to turn on a computer...

fo·rum ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fôrm, fr-)
n. pl. fo·rums, also fo·ra (fôr, fr)

The public square or marketplace of an ancient Roman city that was the assembly place for judicial activity and public business.
A public meeting place for open discussion.
A medium of open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper or a radio or television program.
A public meeting or presentation involving a discussion usually among experts and often including audience participation.

A court of law; a tribunal.

example: http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=6821&goto=newpost

situation: http://comment.cio.com/soundoff/121202.html

Let that sink in.

·
Global Moderator
51,325 Posts
Maybe you should go back in the thread and read where you were questioning my vocation and knowledge. Remember the story about casting the first stone? :)

You might also note that my post about the firewall was preceded by IMO. In case you don't know the shorthand, that's In My Opinion. How about you let that sink in too.
I am not asking anyone to bow down, because I could care less what you think. When I joined I had the idea of helping those who needed it and learning while I did it.
You could care less what we think, but you joined with the idea you could learn something? How exactly is a closed mind going to do that? I'm frankly atsonished after the recent worm fiasco that someone would be in here advocating that home users can't be trusted to configure a firewall! I guess they're OK trying to recover from the effects of not having one, right?

·
Registered
49 Posts
snort

Well then I apologize, when you did IMO, which I was particularly questioning made me beleive that you mistyped and you were saying "Laughing Majorly Outloud". I thought you were mocking me, and downing my opinion.

Don't read into the statement and turn it around. You know that I meant when I didn't care what people thought, I didn't care that this person beleived I was unskilled, etc. This doesnt advocate trust either, its just understanding.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
HAHA

I AM LAUGHING MAJORLY OUT LOUD ON THIS ONE...

alright, this is going to be hard for me to say, but,

C'mon man, cant we all just shut up?

i wasnt trying to say you didnt know anything, i was trying to say there is more to know that anyone could even begin to know.
and 10% of all there is to know about computer tech is more than 250 BILLION pages of printed data.
there isnt anyway in hell you have absorbed that much info, or anyone for that matter.
and i think johnwill is right about the first stone...
and calling me bobby is a good way to show others how mature you are.
HAHA
anyways, i pride myself in being the best amatuer pc guy that i know. in fact, it is sort of a thing i have fought with all my life. really, grow up and stop slinging names, you are bringing this entire forum down...

it almost seems you dont like it here.

im actually done with the subject at hand, and will not post on this thread again.

and anyone else who posts anything personal is going to be breaking the most important rule on this site (no personal attacks) so, i think you should pack up your bag of names, and go to a whole new thread in the offline section.

~BoB~

G

·
Aw c'mon Mr. Vila.

Every once in a while you need some good interaction like this to liven the place up a little.

Now johnwill usually comes on and posts his comments on the board and leaves. And usually his suggestions are right on the money, Although he likes to leave those rolling eyes smilies at the end of the post which is annoying to some people.

Now as far as effex goes he is still new to the forum and is trying to establish himself as a knowledgeable computer person on the forum, And he does seem willing to go to no ends to prove himself and I truly hope that this personality clash will be over shortly.................:D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.