Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the best luck with computers ever. My brother wanted me to format his oldschool compaq presario 5000 computer so I formatted with the win XP setup disk, when I went to restart to start installing windows after the format it takes me to a blank screen that reads:
"Couldn't open drive multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) NTLDR: couldn't open drive multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)"

I have booted with floppy and fdisk, fdisk /mbr, formatted about a million times using FAT and NTFS file systems, I have deleted all partitions, did everythinig I can think of.

Does anyone have any idea of how I might solve this and install windows? I know the HDD isn't shot because I can put it in my other comp and actually do a full win install, but when I place it back in the compaq, it brings me to the same error screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

:tongue:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am a complete n00b so any suggestions please give me the *hold my hand* explination because I need step by step instructions or else I won't know what to do. Please help me out!

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Sounds like a hardware problem. Download the drive manufactors diagnostics program and run it. See if it can tell you what is going on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone,
I have the exact same problem on my compaq presario 5000. I fdisked the hard drive and looks like I lost some bios info. I get the same message"
"Couldn't open drive multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) NTLDR: couldn't open drive multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)"

Also now when it boots up it won't count off the memory in the upper left hand corner like it use to.
I updated the bios but still has same problem.

Rymannurple did you get yours figured out? This was my daughters computer that she got for Christmas, so I am not too popular around the house right now.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did not get a factory restore disk with the computer. I have been to the Compaq/hp web site looking for one but no luck finding it. Still looking if anyone knows where I can get one.
Thanks..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.