Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

During the last month I have gotten BSOD at least once a day. Therefore I tested my RAM to see if it was the problem. I have 2x2 GB Kingston modules. Here are a screenshot of the result of my first test.
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6127/29042009291.jpg
In this test both ram modules were in my PC. As you can see I have quite a lot errors.

Then I wanted to find out which of the two ram modules that was broken. I pulled one of the ram modules out and tested the other - no errors in the memtest. Then I tested the other ram module, which I expected to give some errors, but it didn't. No errors whatsoever.

I have today done the same as in test 1 - I have tested both of the ram modules on the same time and here is the result http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/737/03052009301.jpg

I still have guarantee but I am simply confused whether my ram is broken or not. Please help.

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
Memtest needs to be run on only one stick at a time. Try running the computer with only one stick installed. Look in your motherboard manual for ram population rules.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Memtest needs to be run on only one stick at a time. Try running the computer with only one stick installed. Look in your motherboard manual for ram population rules.
Okay, maybe I didn't explain it correctly but that is excactly what I did. Here is basically what I did:
1. I ran memtest with both ram sticks in - I got a lot of errors.
2. I ran memtest with only one ram stick - no errors.
3. I ran memtst with the other ram stick - no errors
4. Then I ran memtest with both ram sticks again - I got lots of errors again.

This doesn't make any sense to me as you probably can tell. I get errors when both ram sticks are in and I get no errors when I test them individually.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ram voltage in bios is set to auto. Everything is basically set to auto, I have not changed anything. I've updated my bios but BSOD still occurs. I get a lot of usbport.sys crashed. Anyways here are my ram specs:

Kingston 2G-UDIMM 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,106 Posts
D/L CPUz> http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php give us a screen shot of the SPD tab

To post a screen shot as an attachment>
Save the file to your desktop in the press the Go Advanced button below the message input box in the advanced message box there is an Icon at the top with a paper clip on it click it a window will open at the top it says upload a file from your computer click the button select the file from your desktop then press upload close the window and press Submit Reply.

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,106 Posts
If your not running any symantic software rename SPBBCDrv.sys to SPBBCDrv.old that is listed as the cause in one of the dumps the others are while running HL2.exe and caused by nvlddmkm.sys an Nvidia driver file which could also be caused by ram.

Did you run memtest from a cd by boooting to it and not from inside windows correct?

3 others(0xD1) point to a external device while running HL2 possibly a mouse?
Which again could also be a ram issue.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
According to the SPBBCDrv.sys, yes it was a symantic product. As soon as I got that error I uninstalled everything that was made by Symantic.

I ran memtest by booting from a cd.

Could it help to switch usb port for some of my devices?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The symantic error does not occur anymore because I uninstalled the product (it's an old error) I don't really have any other ram sticks to try with. But maybe, where I bought my PC, I could show them my memtest results and they can give me two new ram sticks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They wanted me to run memtest with one ram stick at the time. That's what I did and it didn't give me any errors. Isn't it very unlikely then that it is not my ram which is causing the crashes?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.