Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my Ram from current 3GB to 8GB, but when I went to the store page it doesn't specifically say that it is un-buffered but does say non-ECC which is also required in my motherboard. From what I understand they are not the same, but when I asked if the memory was buffered or un-buffered the response was that non-ECC can mean the same thing.

Also some other places I went to research said if it doesn't say specifically then its "safe" to assume it's un-buffered.

Motherboard is a Foxconn 2AB7 - Foxconn 2AB7 Mainboard Specs

And the memory I'm looking at - Komputerbay 8GB (2 X 4GB) DDR3 DIMM (240 pin) 1333Mhz PC3 10600 / PC3 10666 9-9-9-25 1.5v 8 GB KIT at Amazon.com

Also this is my first forum post ever so please excuse bad formatting or if I have it in the wrong area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already know the type I need..that's not my question. My question is weather or not non-ECC without it being specifically stated can mean it is un-buffered memory

·
Microsoft MVP, Microsoft Team Moderator, Articles
39,530 Posts
Very likely that non-ECC will be unbuffered memory. Buffered memory is really only used for servers.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,561 Posts
Off and on through the years ECC memory is offered in desktop boards but not recently and for the most part Ecc ram is strictly for servers and yes non ecc is also unbufferred ram.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.