Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all - Wonder if anyone has any experience or opinion on this. Would a 1GB PC3200 DIMM from a reputable manufacturer such as Crucial or Kingston be as reliable as two 512MB PC3200 DIMM's from same manufacturer? Or is putting 1GB on one chip into one mem slot pushing the limits? Or does it even matter? I am applying this question against a mobo that will support up to 3GB. I apologize if this seems like a wierd question, but I am curious. :4-dontkno

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Quality memory is quality memory, however, if you are looking at it statistically your best bet would be for 2 X 512 modules over a single 1Gig module...if one module fails the other should be fine until you replace the bad one, if you have a single module and it fails your up the creek without a paddle. Why not just get 2 1Gig modules, good memory is quite cheap these days. Whom ever you buy the memory from....make sure that it is on the compatability list of either the mobo mfg. or memory mfg.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the deal is done!

Good point about if one goes bad the computer would still be operational if two memory sticks are inserted. Something I have noticed (dosen't make a lot of sense to me) is, I'll use Crucial's website as an example(but it is everyone), is that a 1GB PC3200 DIMM costs $159.99 but two 512MB of the same would only cost $68.99 each (68.99 x 2 = 137.98) for the same amount of mem. I know I can get it cheaper but still pay more for the 1GB as compared to two 512MB. So budget enters the picture also. So I've answered my own question. I have 3 slots and I guess I'll install 3 512MB. Should be plenty. Thanks for you thoughts and input. :smile:

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
I would suspect that the mfg'ing process is to blame for the price dispairity....the chips all have to be speed binned, so that the memory module can achieve its rated speed at rated voltages, now double the amount of chips on a dimm and finding that many within tolerance may be a bit more time consuming, the dimm then has to pass all Q&A checks....not to mention the ecomomy of scale is lost when you factor how many 512 modules are sold in comparison to 1Gb modules....no mfg wants stock to remain on the shelf for any length of time.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Another thing to consider is what type of RAM you're coupling with your CPU. By default, a Socket 754 Athlon 64 can't run 2+ sticks of double-sided PC3200 at PC3200 speeds. You can work your way around this by tinkering with timings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.