Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IBM Aptiva E series 190, Acer V75M-1 motherboard, 100 mh bus clock, AMD K6 2/500, 512 KB L2 pipeline burst cache, 96 MB of memory. I have a 64MB and 32MB module installed in 2 banks of 1 slots. Computer documentation says expands to 256 MB, but a footnote reads, "Installed memory in excess of 128 MB will not derive performance enhancement from the included external cache". Does this mean there is no point in adding up to 256 MB, and rather I should just add another 64MB only? Computer is just used to surf the web and E-mail and occasionally post on variouos message boards, no games. I'm new at this and dont know all I need to know at this point. Thanks for any response.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What OS?

....maybe this note is making a reference to the issue that Win98 cannot use more than 128MB memory, since any more than that would not yeild any better performance.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
...Win98 cannot use more than 128MB memory, since any more than that would not yeild any better performance.
Microsoft quotes no maximum limit for physical RAM on Win98 AFAIK. Some non-MS articles suggest that at release they claimed support of up to 2GB RAM, but it turned out that internal O/S issues created much lower limits.

But Microsoft 253912 does say, and it is well known, that beyond 512MB in Win98 you will start running into various issues. Most are solvable by various means, but the point is, unless you feel like fighting with the O/S, don't bother installing more than 512MB on a Win98 machine.

Personally I run 384MB, that was the max I could physically install in my PC, given what hardware chips were used in the box.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Actually

The MS Developer's site states that Win98 only addresses mem up to 256MB ... let me see if I can find it ....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.