Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy 512 MB of PC2700 DDR memory. Should I get twin sticks of 256MB or just one giant stick of 512MB. Any performance difference? I will be using the ASUS A7V333 Motherboard.

Thanks,
David

·
Watching from the shadows
1,143 Posts
Perfomance difference i dont think so at least a noticable one. But as far as two or one I would go for one becuase it leaves you with room for another.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bowhunter4us said:
Let me know how you like that board and how it performs cause thats the one i was thinking of getting or the nvidia gaming one.
Well, I haven't put the new system with the ASUS A7V333 MB yet, but I do have a relative using the ASUS NVIDIA A7N266 MB that uses the nForce chipset. It is a very good performer for the money, about $120 for the one with a decent video. For that MB, you willl need twin sticks of DDR ram to take full advantage of the nForce chipset. It's onboard video performs about the same as a Geforce2 MX card. The reason is because it uses the system RAM for its video RAM. Thisi a great solution for playing yesterday's games or doing or non 3-D graphics applications , but not for today's system hogging games like Morrowwind and some of those 1st person shooters.

Most of the reviews I have seen says that the KT333 chipset that the A7V333 MB uses is only marginally (about 3-4%) faster than the previous generation KT266 chipset. I think this is just due to the AMD processors having a 133mhz FSB. If you overclock to 166MHZ FSB and use DDR333 memory, you should see a huge difference in performance. I really wished VIA would come out with a version of their P4X333 chipset that supports AMD instead of Intel.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Der Robe said:
Perfomance difference i dont think so at least a noticable one. But as far as two or one I would go for one becuase it leaves you with room for another.
Yes... but if that one chip happens to die.. then it's dead... along with your system until you get a new one... plus it'll be cheaper to do 2 individual pieces.... It's up to you.... thats a tough choice.... good luck with the new PC :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.