Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Got a coupla doubts I hope to get clarified here.
First, I have been using another puter( my cousin's) and well, it being a bit slow I looked for the amount of memory reported by XP and it shows 192MB.But the memory module itself, residing in slot 1 is 256 MB.Why is there such a huge variation between actual and reported memory? Yes, that puter has onboard sound/video but should that be affecting the XP memory information report? Anyway, onboard graphics dont use so much memory right?

Secondly, the c: drive of that puter is showing only about 1 Gb of free space now- does that reported 1 Gb include the virtual mem and other stuff like restore/reycle reserved space? Or is it 1 Gb after deducting all those reserved space? I mean,do I have to subtract the amount of reserved space from that 1 Gb?
If I may take the liberty, may I ask how I can remove a screen saver that has been installed in the same machine(XP)?
Do forgive my ignorance.

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Hi corsair, it sounds like the memory is shared with the graphics....64mb's sounds about right. However, I recommend getting quite a bit more RAM in order to get the most from the machine....anohter 512mb would make a big difference.

The 1GB free space will include the page file, hibernate file, recycled files for that drive.

To remove the screensaver, you should be able to just delete the particular screensaver files in the Windows directory.

Hope that helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.