Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 a dell Latitude CP's. They were both hand-me-downs. The first one is totaly messed up. The memory is horible. I can barely open 2 Internet Explorers without it telling me I have Low Disk Space. At first I was like okay let me delete everything possible. Well now I'm down to the bare minimum. Basically I have Internet Explorer and AIM on here. It is still the same problem.. How can I clean up my whole computer so I can freely go on the Internet. I don't even have Microsoft Office or paint on here. The second Latitude CP I have is fine. I have Word and Paint and other porgrams on there too. Whats wrong with the first one?

·
TSF Regular
701 Posts
the 1st problem has a tiny HD..

click Start>My Computer, and see what size/how much space is used/free...

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Hi Steph,

Run the Disk Cleanup Wizard. Run this command in Start > Run...
Code:
%SystemRoot%\system32\cleanmgr.exe
Delete files with the cleanup wizard in these areas:
  • Temporary Internet Files
  • Recycle Bin
  • Setup Log Files
  • Temporary Files
  • Compress Old Files
Once you do that, download CCleaner and clean up these:
  • Windows XP old Prefetch data
  • Windows memory dumps after crashes
  • Chkdsk file fragments
Once you do this, you should have more free disk space.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i checked and i have 158 MB free. I've done the Disk Clean Up Wizard everytime it says I have low disk space. Should I move everything on to a flash drive? Or is there another way to clean up my computer.. I just dont know where it could possibly be.. I only have IE and AIM on here.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
I forgot to mention, after you clean up your hard disk with the utilities, be sure to defragment it with the Windows Disk Defragmenter.

Go into Start > (Settings) > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Defragmenter.

Here you can analyze and defragment your hard disk, which will make it faster, especially after deleting a lot of things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.