Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
I am starting this new threat because I have now isolated my problems with the mobo. I have done every update I could do (BIOS and drivers), followed every advice I was given, but found no solution to the random crashes and reboots.
I discovered, that my system works fine with just one of the two 512 mb ram’s. When using both (dual channel), the system gets extremely unstable. So I tested my memory with memtest86 v.3. It reported errors on both modules when used alone, but also when used together. As I think that it is very unlikely that both are damaged, there seems to be a compatibility issue. I tried to adjust the memory timings, but with no success.

I am using Kinston KHX3200K2/1G
Should be quite good

Does anyone have any experience with memory-problems on that board?

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Well besides returning these DIMM's against their full lifetime warranty, have you tried a slight adjustment to the DDR reference voltage (see the "Jumperfree" section 4.4.1 in your manual)? For this mobo, the default setting is Auto, but I am not sure what voltage that gets you. Since 2.55V, 2.65V, and 2.75V are among the few Manual-setting choices, I'd guess 2.65 might be the voltage Auto decides to apply.

You probably know a slight change in voltage, usually an increase, is sometimes a trick to speed up or slow down memory, which of course is why they provide the ability to change the voltage... for overclockers. If you go overboard you can also burn something out.

The voltage spec on your DIMM kit is 2.60V +/- 0.2V. You could try both 2.75V, and 2.55V, and still be within the spec for the DIMMs. Personally I would NOT try 2.85V.

Also I am sure you have seen the 18th and 19th posts to this thread, "New Build, P4C800 E Deluxe, No Boot... BUT...." which suggests certain memory timings for Kingston and Corsair.

-clintfan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I clocked my memory manually at 2-2-2-6 that didn’t help but didn’t harm either. So I tried changing my DDR reference voltage to 2.75V as you said. Memtest ran for 25 passes without finding any error. When rebooting, my system didn’t enter windows but rebooted spontaneously. After that I could enter Windows but MSOffice crashed entirely. After my third restart everything was fine but my system is still not stable now. I have random shutdowns (although i switched that off in windows) and programcrashes. I am desperate. I don't know what to do anymore.

I need your valuable help once more. I actually use a Zalman ZM300A-APF PSU. It only has 300W. I would now like to know if it may help to upgrade to 400W.
I have 2 Westerndigital Disk and 2 CDRoms. Planing on a DVDRewriter.

Thanks again

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Well in that case if you have only 300W yet are trying to push a P4-3.0GHz, I would say by all means upgrade the supply. I hadn't realized you were below the generally-recognized minimum power for the mobo. I can't guarantee this will fix your memory trouble, but it'll definitely be easier on the mobo, the supply, and you.

You want my recommendation?... don't even waste time shopping around, just go straight to Newegg and buy an Antec True480 supply which has 480W. They seem to be solid as a rock for everybody here who's using one. The separate voltage regulation sections for the 3.3V, 5V, and 12V is a definite design plus. And Newegg service was impeccable.

Just be sure the voltage selector switch on the back is set properly before you plug it in: 115 vs. 220VAC.

There's also a version with a nifty Blue LED inside, I guess so you can see the dust. :tongue2:
I didn't bother, that's an extra few milliamps of juice I'd prefer to hang onto.

Stronger supplies can be had (500- 550- 600W), but hardly anyone's using them around here yet, no not much fedback to go on. IMO it's not needed with your number of devices.

-clintfan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for you quick reply.

I should have mentioned that I live in Luxembourg, so shopping tips aren’t much of a use to me and I still can send my PSU back to the retailer. I can get the Antec true 480 as a replacement.

So the PSU may be the explanation to the weird problems I experience:
Memtest shows no errors with the current settings, but windows is not stable at all. I have a theory of my own. Tell me if it is complete nonsense. I think that memtest is running because it just has enough juice on the ram and when trying to run windows the extra power needed for the harddisks makes the PSU to slighty breakdown which then causes the crashes under Windows, while tests from the memtest bootdisk (without any harddisk use) run properly.
This may also explain why the system runs more or less stabel with 1 memory module and doesn't with 2.

Does that make any sense?:confused:

By the way what are the minimal requirements for that mobo?:D

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
I should have mentioned that I live in Luxembourg, so shopping tips aren’t much of a use to me
Luxembourg? Cool! No I guess the shopping links would not help you, sorry. But they might help somebody else reading this.

...I think that memtest is running because it just has enough juice on the ram and when trying to run windows the extra power needed for the harddisks makes the PSU to slighty breakdown...
Well that is not a nonsensical theory, not when you are talking about a 300W supply on a modern mobo like this. Each drive will consume some 20W or so during normal read/write seeks, 60W during spin-up I think. So if you are already "on the edge" then sure, the drives could dip the 5V and 12V enough, and with a typical supply (not a True480) this will dip the 3.3V also.

But the bigger hog under Windows will probably be that big 2.8GHz CPU. Windows will really put it to work. I don't know how they can manage to chew up all that power in a little piece of silicon, but with temperature-sensitive fans you can really hear them speed up when Windows is doing its thing.

It's like with a stereo system: it's a good idea to have your amps way overpowered, compared to the speakers. Not so much so you can run them loud. Rather, this will make available the spare power to reproduce transient signals better, so all your high frequencies will come out clearer. With a PC nowadays, P4 or Athlon, it seems you almost cannot have enough power from the supply.

-clintfan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Givin up

I could get the Enermax EG465 AX-VE PSU from a local retailer. I was curious what it would do to my system. After the installation of the new PSU…. again a disappointment: the system is now less stable than before. With one memory module it can barely be used for a few minutes, with the two modules I get blue screens before reaching windows. When I can logon, I get error message after error massage. I didn’t change anything to my system, just a stronger PSU. I did try the same configurations that ran more or less stable before. Overall everything got worse, regardless what settings I used. I changed timings, voltage, removed a memory module; nothing did help.

For over a week I am now tinkering around with this board. I can’t afford to loose that much time anymore. I am desperate and have no clue where to continue. :no: I will send the board back tomorrow and exchange it for an MSI 875P Neo FIS2R. Even if I could get the ASUS running, I never would trust that board, I would always be waiting for it to crash again.

I have been very disappointed with this ASUS product. Either I am to dumb to build a working system on a board like the P4C800 or there are serious issues about that product that should be resolved by the manufacturer. From my point of view there are ways too much problems discussed on the forum that are related to that board. Or is the Asus the only board that is sold these days?
Anyway; I like my ASUS notebook but I am finished with that board. I will post whether I am or whether I am not more successful with the MSI board. I will get the replacement in about a week.:sleep:

Greetings to everyone and thanks for all the help

Special thanks to Clintfan, the heart of this forum.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
MSI 875P Neo FIS2R, nice board. That was my other choice.
Just watch out for the Northbridge fan, I hear they fail soon and you might not need it at all.

"Heart of this forum?" Hardly! The "heart" of a forum is everybody in it, and their attitude. Me, I've not even been here 2 months yet. I just try to "have a heart" and help where I can. Where I can't, I'm learning to stay out of it. I think I was looking a long time for a better PC problem-solving outlet than what the newspaper has here, and right now this seems to be filling that need.

-clintfan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Modesty is a good trait.
As for what you do in this forum; most professional problemsolvers who get paid for it don’t do half the job you do here. I am here since almost a week and all I know is, that nowhere else I can get such quick answers to my pc-problems.
So once again; thanks

By the way, did you hear anything suspicious about that MSI board (besides the northbridgefan). I would like to have it done for good this time. No further bad surprises I hope.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
nowhere else I can get such quick answers to my pc-problems.
With me that's because I am spending waaaayyy too much time on this forum. It's been a diversion from other stuff I should have been doing... like work!

did you hear anything suspicious about that MSI board (besides the northbridgefan). I would like to have it done for good this time
No, nothing at all. My suspicion is not very many are using it. Either that, or those users are in a different forum, or (as we hope) it's rock solid, like my own P4C800-E Deluxe. It's a shame yours was a "lemon".

Let us know the outcome,
I think all the stuff you already bought should plug right in, no problem.

-clintfan

·
Registered
17 Posts
just because the memory modules passed during memtest doesn't mean it's going to be stable in windows. I for a while had the same problem and it turned out to be a setting in the bios that was causing my memory timmings to set to aggressively. I would suggest that you make sure you have relaxed the settings for the ram and make sure turbo mode is set to standard before going any farther. From what you have been saying it sounds like the memory latency timmings are set too aggressive.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for that information
But that's where we started. These timings are the result of a long line of tests and turned out to be the most stable at that time. By the way my memory is rated that way.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm using Corsair with my P4C800E-Delux

I am using two Corsair XMS CMX512-3200C2 512MB DIMM's with my P4C800-E Delux and they work great.

Before upgrading to a 3.2Ghz CPU, I was running a 2.53Ghz CPU with the Overclock setting set to 20% and had NO PROBLEMS. It ran completely stably at 3.02Ghz!

I would never use Kingston or other low grade parts in my system.

Check out the newest offerings from Corsair:

http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/xms_proseries.html

I will be upgrading to them next.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is Kingston really a low grade part? They are quite expensive, though. That’s why I thought they were quite good. Does anyone agree or disagree? I would like to know what people think of that brand. I admit that I didn’t switch too another brand, so the memory still could be the cause of my problems. As the system runs more or less stable with one memory module, but doesn’t with two, there may be a compatibility issue. But I know that there are people out there that use Kingston without any problem on that board.
So just express your opinion on the memory-brand-issue.:winkgrin:
Any thoughts on that matter are welcome.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Personally I only decided against the respected Crucial memory and chose Kingston instead, after I realized that (at least as of August) Asus had not qualified any Crucial on the mobo, but had qualified a lot of Kingston. They had tested some parts similar enough to what I had planned to use. For me, ECC was important, and Kingston was about the only ECC memory Asus had tested.

So there ya go. Kingston was purely a strategic move, to try to improve my chances of success early-on. And I have not been disappointed. Nor have I had to up my DDR voltage or mess with timings to get it to work.

-clintfan

·
Registered
13 Posts
i am a noob. is the memory setting the cause of the random crashes? such as when i burn cds?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hy xCon
I wish I could help you. There are so many things that could cause those crashes. Just look at the different threats in this forum concerning the asus p4c800. For my part I tried them all to get it work but I didn’t succeed, so I sent it back. I am still waiting for my new MSI 875P NEO. By the way my system was about the same as yours. Could you tell me if the raid 0 with the 2 Raptors is a decent solution? I have one of those and planning to buy a second.

And for a noob, as you say, you built quite a high-end system. :winkgrin:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Buying Raptors in pairs and running them in RAID striping is the only way to go.
:winkgrin:

·
Registered
13 Posts
stevejungen, yeah the raptors are the fastest HDDs I ever used b4. I had one at first, then i bought the second.
you can tell the performance dofference with 2 HDDS. its my first time using the riad config, i mean setting up up my own raid config.
i am a noob that have to have everything.
oh, i tried the 2-3-3-6-8 thing,... dunno what it is but i tried it! and no more crashes with nero!
but i still get a reboot when clonecd tries to burn, gives me a error, then before i can even read it, it'll reboot.

can someone tell me if its safe to overclock with the zalman i have for my cpu? or whats a safe setting to config as?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.