Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it imperative to have your DDR Ram memory sticks to all match? I have 1gb (2x512) of PQI Turbo pc3200 and was given some PQI pc3200 Power series (2x512). Will there be any problem running 2 different series of the same brand memory in my HP Media center Pc Pentium 4 ..2.8gb. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
You can have problems running two different pairs of RAM in a motherboard but that usually doesn't happen. I've run two different combinations of mismatched pairs in my computer and haven't ever had problems. It does have to run the memory at the speed of the slower memory sticks but that just means it may have to slow the memory down a bit. The place where you can have problems is that it has to set the memory voltage the same for all the memory sticks. Usually that's not a problem but it can get you into trouble on some seriously mismatched sticks. There's no harm in trying it for a while to see what happens. I'd make sure it can run MemTest86 for a few hours with no errors before declaring the RAM stable.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.