Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to reinstall windows xp on a pc the other day and after running windows update IE8 locked the search provider to bing. Under manage search providers I was unable to change the default search from bing. I was unable to uncheck the box allowing programs to suggest changes to my default search engine.
I repair pcs from my home and on this particular day I was working on someone else's pc. I had to hold pc for an extra day and redo OS again to rectify issue. I haven't had time to see if there's a trojan floating around causing this issue but thought I'd poll the community to see if anyone else ran into this issue or knew the cause?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the same problem as of yesterday. I udpdated to IE 8 and the installation information assured me that my previous settings would be kept. I had Google as my default search engine, but now bing is the default. When I try to change it back to google and remove bing, I can click the google as default and disable bing (so I thought), but the remove button is whited out, so I can't remove it (of course, it will let me remove google). BUT - when getting offline and then back on, the bing setting is restored as the default search and a message box comes up that says a 'program' is not letting the settings remain as previously set and has reverted back to bing. Very fishy. Do you think Microsoft is pushing the bing to compete with yahoo and google?
Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I had this problem when setting up a computer with IE6 last week. Even when I went to google by entering it in the browser I was hijacked to bing when I entered a search. It stopped after I got AVG on the machine.
Bing is a Microsoft product so I'm guessing this "problem" is a marketing thing to capture those who aren't, computer savvy enough to fix it, or aware enough about computers to notice it as an issue.
Try putting an internet security program on the machine I think it will stop. I'm guessing we'll be hearing about a lawsuit by Google or an unfair practices complaint soon enough.

I've tried bing, since I had no choice at the time, and it sucked so you can add that to the annoying viral nature MS has decided to give it to the long list of useless crap that seems to get by whomever is in charge of monitoring quality of product in Redmond.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.