Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dont know if this is the correct place to put this, but im sure the mods will move it if not.

PROBLEM: __ Trying to restore a laptop HD to factory settings using 3 provided recovery files: retten.exe, retten.000, retten.001. I think these are exe versions of HDCOPY images.__

When I first got my laptop (Medion 6032), it contained 3 partitions (C,D and E). On the E drive there was a folder called /RECOVER which contained 3 files: retten.exe, retten.000 and retten.001.

Apparently, by using a boot up CD and executing retten.exe I would be able to restore the computer to factory settings (windows xp installed, drivers all working, etc.).

I backed up these 3 files over 3 CD's and just copied them back across to a FAT partition on the HD, rebooted and executed retten.exe. It appears this program is mostly in German and after getting to the point where I'm warned 'type 'start' to begin, WARNING DRIVE C: WILL BE FORMATTED' etc. I get the following message...

Befehl oder Dateiname nicht gefunden

(instruction or file name not found).

Now Ive got a feeling that my third partition (E) which holds the recovery information has been corrupted or wiped.

Does anyone have any info on how to reslove this. Ive been in touch with Medion and they are not interested in helping.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
i have moved you to laptops
have a look in your manual and see it you can do the recovery by pressing one of the F keys
i don't work with l/tops at all so am not much use with them

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.