Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Am new to this forum and hope someone can help. I imagine my problem has been seen by many before, but I searched this forum and didn't find it.

Every time I want to shut down my PC, the shutdown process gets stuck by Media Center not closing whatever process it must be running in the background at startup (I'm not manually opening Media Center). So the only way I can get the PC to shut down properly is by clicking on the button to end the process. Then the PC shuts down fine. Very annoying to have to do it EVERY time I want to shut down.

Hope someone knows how to fix this!? :4-dontkno

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok...so I guess I forgot to give my OS. It's Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2

I'm running it on a 2006 HP Pavilion. Nothing special.

·
Banned
17 Posts
stop Media Center from startup item .
This method will stop from start-up items

Select "Run" from the Start menu
Press the Start Button.
Click on Run
Type MSCONFIG
Press Enter
A window will pop up, click on the startup tab.
Unchecked Media Center.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I tried that but the message persists. And also it rendered Media Center unusable. :sigh:

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
This problem has really irritated me also until I stumbled on a solution.
I was cleaning up my startup and noticed that the C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe that is supposed to "load a system tray icon that allows you to control various aspects of Media Center" (see http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/ehtray.exe-1525.html) didn't bring up any system tray icon on my system. I figured, if it isn't doing anything useful then eliminate it. I deleted the value "ehTray" in the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and this logoff delay went away along with the popup window "End Program - Media Center" with the "End Now" button.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, DirtRider. I don't have that in my registry. However, I was able to finally get rid of the problem by downloading a Microsoft Update for Media Center that was designed to fix something else. Go figure...Microsoft only ever fixes things accidentally. :tongue:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.